Is bigger posts better?

Mayur
Mayur
from goa
13 years ago

For sometime i have been thinking about it. Are bigger post better?

Let me elaborate the question to make it more specific. Eg i have two posts the title is same, and all the content and material is same but one post i have written "to the point" without any external facts or too much explanation and the other post is lengthy with interesting facts and statistics and other external material which may interest readers.

Now the question is which will rank better in google? Pls note that the content is same and the readers will get the information they came searching for from both the posts.

I am asking this totally from the google's point of view and not readers. because the reader will read it if it comes higher in the search ranking.

Replies 1 to 8 of 8 Descending
Mohini Puranik
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

What I observed is to the point, with facts, avoid unnecessary explanation....is good in google's point of view. At least about my posts. Now I try to keep my posts, title everything to the point. Facts and statistics will help I think.

Rumbaho.com
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

I find it hard to keep my posts short. Received many complaints about the length of the posts.

Sauvik
Sauvik
from Kolkata
13 years ago

As per my observation, bigger posts are better only when you are an expert niche blogger. E.g, you are an engg graduate giving pages of speeches on the latest ind-pak bilateral talks, you are a dead duck, and people wouldnt even spare a thought about coming back to ur blog for an extra dose. Firstly you have to build up that reputation and that authority, so that readers would have faith in what u r writing, and then you expand your thoughts. 

P.S: I hardly read chetan bhagat's poilitcal articles, this person is good for coffee table reading and not heavy stuffs. 

Mayur
Mayur
from goa
13 years ago

sorry sir but as i have mentioned above i want to know the effect of bigger post on the search engine rankins.

yes chetan bhagat is masala bollywood type writer, truly when i got the pdf of his book "two state" after reading 1st chapter i thought it was fake and left it and then i got a copy from the library and was shocked to see that it was authenticate. i read it though and felt like i just watched a masala bollywood film. His writing is a bit "Gavti". Anyway i think he will be more successfull as a movie story writer.

Neeraj Rawat
Neeraj Rawat
from Delhi
13 years ago

Hey Mayur,

It hardly matters if the post is short or long the thing is it should be complete and descriptive enough.But yeah noone like to read long essay content if its not necessary just think would you read an essay in a post?Like I have posts ranging from 5 screen shots with explanation upto 50 screen shots depends upon the requirement of the posts

As far as Google is concern I doubt your both posts can be penalized for duplicat title and content,what you can do is delete the short one and keep the main one and then signup for shetoldme.com and then submit your posts and in description keep the short post info you will see from where you are getting more visitors in your dashboard

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
13 years ago
As far as i know google tracks your posts by labels or tags provided, so the common tag would fetch lower in search results, and unique tag would provide a higher opportunity on search. You post readership will depend on content and followers.
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

+1

Mayur
from goa
13 years ago

Thank u sir ur reply was very enlightening. From the day i started posting questions you have provided the best replys from now onwards u r my "forum hero"

+1000000000000000000000 respect

Neeraj Rawat
from Delhi
13 years ago

@Umesh

labels or tags?which one ?do we have any tag system in blogspot?I guess By default Google doesnt crawl labels in blogspot that is why we get robot.txt error in Google webmaster control panel

Mayur
from goa
13 years ago

@neeraj

Yeh google doesnt track blogspot tags, but may be umesh was talking about own site hosting.

Neeraj Rawat
Neeraj Rawat
from Delhi
13 years ago

Yeah that is right

tys
tys
from Sharjah
13 years ago

nope...size really doesnt matter..

its what you do with your post that counts.

one example : Jose Daniel's photoblogs.

Ankit
Ankit
from Delhi NCR
13 years ago

Break up into parts and make them go that way!

LockSign in to reply to this thread