Can cricket be considered our national game ?

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Hockey has lost the primacy of being a national game ever since 1980 Olympics.  Cricket has taken over the minds and heart of the Indian public ever since 1983 world cup victory. Further corporate sponsorship has made it possible for increasing number of youngsters taking up the game.  It has provided an opportunity for broadcasters to have live footage for hours together, which is not possible except for Formula 1 racing coverage, or maybe Golf tournament coverage.  Lastly the earning potential in cricket has been the primary cause for the popularity of the sports.  I don t think the lure for game in terms of playing for the nation holds true, except for a few individuals, who would still play cricket even without remuneration ?  Guys please put forward you pros and cons for the game to be declared a national game ?  

Replies 1 to 5 of 5 Descending
It's an irony. Though cricket has gained popularity and money & stardom revolving around it, hockey should be revived & more attention be given to it. Media can do wonders. We can have talents of management students to make a turnaround for this sport. And why only this, gill danda, kabaddi, kho kho, etc. Too.
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I would ideally prefer gilli danda as national game, because it is cost effective, i remember we used to play stick cricket in school, because our PT master never used to give us kit to play.  So we modified the game by having a stick as bat and stones as ball, three misses to hit one is out and splinters of stone is caught one is out.  

I played gill danda alot in childhood days. And catches taken were so wonderful to put to shame present cricketers. But no awards
Kanche, or goli goli,
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Yes Pramod even marble playing can be interesting but it does not have media appeal Lolz

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Pramod gilli danda game is exciting and it can be played in gullies, we used to play under cork ball cricket, which is another variation, pitch catch is out and bowled.  

If they had uniformity of rules, standard size of gill, danda etc. And field specifications too. And national awards too, it would become popular
umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
13 years ago

@ Pramod the height of reward for me was a plastic tiffin box costing Rs 10 maybe in 1988 for being man of the series.  This can be considered as height of corporate sponsorship.

Great boss, I didn't get that even.
The reward I got was many times mom & dad used to scold me for not studying & playing away like loafers.
umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Well Pramod, luckily my father used to play cricket and therefore i did not get scolded for playing cricket, ultimately it is because of our attitude and support that cricket is big today i feel, i am sure there will be millions who played cricket in their younger days for not for reward but for physical fitness and thrill of the game.

LockSign in to reply to this thread