Simple Tips for Beginners

Sakhi Shah
Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
14 years ago

Okay, I used to review some blogs. However, I didn't have the time to review all of them, and I thought there should be some checklist that people should be able to see to judge which criterias I base my review on, so here you will find a list of things to keep in mind when making your blog. 

- First impression: 

1) Interesting names make for good first impressions.

2) Interesting ideas make for good first impressions.

3) Interesting, eye-catching (not eye-burning) layouts make for good first impressions.

Good first impressions are created if you're thought-provoking, interesting and readable. [Note: Using poor language in your blog description is a complete no-no as far as good first impressions are concerned. I do care if you write lyk dis in your posts, in your heading/sub heading you can't afford to be that way]

- Layout and Design:

1) First thing - make your layout topical. If a food blog has a layout that reminds me of football it means that you didn't do this right.

2) Make your layout readable. If I can't read your posts I am not likely to stay.

3) Make your layout eye-catching. Use interesting banners/backgrounds that show me your individuality as a blogger. Use big, high quality pictures as banners.

4) Tell me immediately what your blog is about (in the sub-heading or elsewhere) so I know whether to stay or to leave. (This includes 'random stuff'. Tell me your blog is about random stuff. I want to know.)

5) Colors that go together. If you're having trouble looking for too long at your blog this is a problem.

6) Colors that will tell you clearly that this is a link, this is normal text, this is the date.

7) Use interesting and innovative stuff. Take a hint from Docomo and 'Do the new!'. Don't rely on the same old blogspot default templates, personalize and make them your own.

- Idea: Your idea is good if:

1) 100 people here aren't writing about it already.

2) If you're really passionate and can give a new insight/perspective on an idea that 100 people here are already using.

- Content: 

1) Content is king. Write a topic you know about and feel something about. Teach me something new, or make me laugh. Write something in a way I never thought it could be written.

2) Only having good content is not enough. It must also be readable. Make sure you seperate your posts into paragraphs, loads of seperate paragraphs, clearly differentiated.

3) Use pictures/videos to attract the attention of a reader. Use bold and underline, even italics or lists to make your point. (I'm doing that already, see). Make posts easier to skim through, don't write 'walls of text' that no one wants to read.

4) Use links. Add value to your blog. Introduce your reader to something that she/he has never seen before.

5) Use spell-check and grammar-check. Its remarkable how simple and effective this is.

6) Post frequently, but make sure that you remember that posting frequently is really no substitute for quality. I'd rather read a quality blog updated twice a month than one with no quality updated once a day.

7) Make your blog personal. People read blogs rather than websites because blogs are more about personal opinions, and if you just give facts then that will never work. A little bit of you must shine through your blog posts. I don't want to read the words of a computer, I want to read your thoughts.

- User-friendliness:

1) Don't put hundred and one widgets in your blog that will slow it down. It irritates me and will irritate others.

2) Put an 'about me' column on top with a picture. It will add that personal touch to your blog which people like.

3) Understand which of the gadgets people are interested and which ones you are interested in - a new reader to your blog is not interested in your stats or live feed, he/she is interested in your profile, your latest posts, and how to subscribe to your blog. Learn to put the important things first, everything else below.

4) Widgets need to be grouped according to their type. Put all ads and stuff at the bottom, put all the subscriptions links together, put all your links and your blogroll together, stuff like that.

5) Add several ways to subscribe to your blog - google friend connect, rss feeds, and email subscription are the most common (and therefore most neccessary), and other can always be useful.

6) Reply politely and nicely to people who take the time to comment on your blog.

7) I often see blogs with maybe 2 posts on the main page. Don't do this. People are remarkably reluctant to click anything, your first page has to attract them, and therefore it must have sufficient material to do so. (If you think the first page is too long, have small summaries of the blog posts and then a read more link, but you should have 6/7 posts on the main page)

--

Okay, so thats all I can think of at the moment. I hope this helps you make your blog better. Feel free to ask for a review. :)

Disclaimer: This is a pretty personal thing. These are the things I like in blogs, and which I feel other people like too. It might not work for everyone. (No harm in trying, though.)

Edited 14 years ago
Reason: Typos
Replies 1 to 14 of 14 Descending
Amit Purohit
Amit Purohit
from Ahmedabad
14 years ago

thanks for the detailed tips

regards

amit purohit

www.shayar4u4ever.blogspot.com

My Infatuation Love Demystified

Addy
Addy
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Thats some info Sakhi! Nice work!

that's a lot of detail..............hope ppl notice and learn something............

Addy
from Mumbai
14 years ago

they are for sure! Smile

Sakhi Shah
Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
14 years ago

Thanks all of you. :)

Deepak
from India
14 years ago

oye.... u forget ma name....

Here it comes from ma side....

lots of information.... thanx Smile

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
14 years ago

I forgot your name? In what context? :P

But thank a dozen! :)

Deepak
from India
14 years ago

ohhh.... a dozen !!!!!

very heavy.... Foot in mouth

bt i will handle

Hi Sakhi !

this is beautifully put and very informative. 

Can I request you to please have a look at my blog. and tell me what do i lack and how can i improve it.  I really need it dear.

thanks.

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
14 years ago

Hey Restless!

Thank you very much. I would love to review your blog. Would you please do me the favor, however, of posting it in my review thread (link in the first post) so I don't have two review threads running? (Hard to maintian even one, you seeWink)

Mag[m]
Mag[m]
from Delhi
14 years ago

Hey sakhi..... salutes ur dedication  towards forum yaar..... even i never wrote such a long description for ma personal blog that ur general thread contains.... gud one sakhiSmile

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
14 years ago

Hi Mag,

Thanks so much. :)

Deepak
from India
14 years ago

are Sakhi..... i hav gvn u my link for reviewing....

give ur damn gud reviews yar!!!!!

Mag[m]
from Delhi
14 years ago

:)

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
14 years ago

Hey Deepak...sorry, its been a crazy week in school. I'll get to your review asap. :)

Deepak
from India
14 years ago

okkkk....

nw sunday is coming.... get-off with ur school works & give reviews Smile

Sakhi Shah
Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
14 years ago

Thanks Kabir.

Unknown
Unknown
from Hyderabad, India
14 years ago

There should be a like button also for the posts. I super like this post of yours. Must read for anyone who wants to make a good blog. After reading that I understand I have to make a lot of changes to my blog.

Thanks a lot for sharing the tips :)

pundit
pundit
from Oslo
14 years ago

I think your observations are a good starting point for anyone beginning to blog. To agument your suggestions, here are some of mine focussed only on the quality of the writing:

1. Focus on the things you know, enjoy and are passionate about.
  2. Never publish your first draft. Nor your second.
  3. Read your entries out loud. It’s amazing how many errors missed when silently scanning words get caught when you hear them out loud.
  4. Find a writing and publishing schedule that works for you. And stick to it.
  5. Recognise that this is not publishing on paper; things can be perpetually improved. Continue to evolve your entries even after they’ve made it to your web site.
  6. Learn to use a thesaurus and a dictionary to make your writing more apt (and stylish!).
  7. Know and engage your audience.
  8. While your writing environment (different blogging software, word processors, text editors, paper and pencil, ...) is not of central concern, make sure you choose one that doesn’t get in the way.
  9. Don’t be reluctant to experiment with different writing styles until you figure out one that works for you.

Sakhi Shah
Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
14 years ago

Unknown: Thanks so much, I'm glad they helped. 

Pundit: Good points, but I don't agree with 6. Using a thesaurus is often a recipe for disaster as most words in it don't have the same contextual meaning, and also I do find that using words you don't generally use on your blog has the effect of making it sound pretentious, high-brow, and boring. But just my thoughts. 

Firoze Shakir
Firoze Shakir
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Nice article for the newbie wannabe and the ordained blogger,

A blog is a sincere effort to connect heal and humanize and we keep learning at every step..even the teacher needs to learn inorder to teach.

Humility is the core essence of a blogger ,,

Take Care

Sakhi Shah
Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
14 years ago

Choto Chetan: Some people don't like it, maybe. I don't. I detest having to click to read an article and therefore I tend not to put read more on my blog too. 

Firoze: Thanks. :) 

Choto Cheeta
from Kolkata
14 years ago

hmm.. for me, read more gives me the chance to take a look at the over all blog first and choose what to read rather than getting stuck to the front post for a while..

its possible the last post of the blogger may not be something I am interested in but i find my self forced to read it Tongue out

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
14 years ago

Yes, I know that a lot of people think its better (I've even considered changing my blog) but I don't personally like it. All I'm saying is that maybe some people do it out of a personal like/dislike rather than ignorance/laziness? 

:) 

kp kp
kp kp
from Delhi
14 years ago

Well said.

However, I will put content on top, in terms of both, quality and quantity.

Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
14 years ago

Well, maybe - I agree with quality, but I don't think just quantity makes too big a difference. There are people who write one brilliant post a month and are still famous/well read/interesting. 

vipin lal
vipin lal
from chennai
14 years ago

LockSign in to reply to this thread