Indiblogger SMS integration

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

I know it is pretty costly but since Indiblogger is growing in leaps and bounds, It should now start a SMS integration.  The members can receive messages informing them all about the forum replies, votes, indispatch ect. just like Google + gives us information.

The SMS integration would help members who are away from computer/dont have access/their computer breaks down/they are travelling etc.

BTW this is just a suggestion

Replies 1 to 9 of 9 Descending
Fairy Princess
Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

I don't think this will be helpful to anyone but IB junkie Undecided

CyberKID
CyberKID
from India
10 years ago

I too don't support receiving messages for new forum replies. For example if a thread I'm participating in, is getting replies in tonnes, it would be flooded with SMS's, which would be more than annoying and moreover, this would be a method quite expensive, even considering the fact that even if you have an SMS gateway, you can't get messages cheaper than 6-10 paise per SMS for intra-operator messages and an added 10-12 paise per sms as operator interconnection charges for inter-operator messages, and I don't think indi would like (or better in situation) to spend that much per message.

* The figures quoted are as per the industry norms, and usually vary according to the volumes of messages sent during a typical month.

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

CK everyone in Tech industry is going for convergence and Indi should too in my opinion Smile

CyberKID
from India
10 years ago

Still, I don't think you'd ever like to receive a message whenever one posts a reply in the forum. Atleast I won't. Sealed

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

even i wont..i already have swtiched off all forum notifications

Shantanu Banerjee
Shantanu Banerjee
from Mumbai
10 years ago

there is so much activity on IndiBlogger that SMS notification would bring down the phone battery to zero in just 1-2 hours (everytime someone posts a reply on a thread you have participated in) sometimes the replies go in 100 and more, you will have trouble keeping your inbox filtered. though post promoted by others can be informed via text messages (But again only 10 people or so promote my post so I won't have trouble in that) think of bloggers whose posts get promoted by 100 others almost everyday. :) Good Suggestion though VP Laughing

Bhavya Kaushik
Bhavya Kaushik
from Jaipur
10 years ago

It is a nice suggestion. But there should be some filtering mechanics :|

Shantanu Banerjee
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Yeah I Agree, Exactly My Point, not everything should be notified

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
10 years ago

Thanks Vijay! I think this makes sense for:

• InDispatch updates
  • When you sign up for an IndiBlogger meet, a reminder 24 hours earlier
  • Top post on IndiBlogger alert (?)
  • A "remind me before this contest closes" feature (?)

For the forum, IndiVine, etc - that would probably be overkill. Like Shantanu says, that can drain a battery in no time. When we have an IndiBlogger meet, twitter sends me so many messages I have to turn off notifications to keep my phone alive. Frown

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Yep Renie that was what I was referring to.  Regarding the indivine messages we can have options just like we have for receiving/not receiving emails in our dashboard but overall I think it is neededSmile

Arindam Sarkar
from Kolkata
10 years ago
Full support to Renie's modified proposal. But it should be quick - not like the email alerts. I get alerts days after contests close. Sms should be as "real time" as possible, or else it beats the purpose.
Shantanu Banerjee
from Mumbai
10 years ago

All equally Important Updates Renie, exactly what everyone needed, I think VP's motive behind the idea was this only.  and I agree wit Arindam too, The notifications should be quick and if possible on Real Time.

One more thing I would like to ask if not too much is about the IndiTalk application on Android (I started a thread too), I seriously think it should be considered. I want to mingle with people even when I don't have the laptop with me. Let me know if it is possible!

Mohit
Mohit
from Mumbai
10 years ago

The actual need is of an Android Application as everyone of us have an Android smartphone. An App having chat feature may really keep Indi bloggers more active over here...I know developing an App would be an investment but I don't think that would be difficult for Indiblogger..ALL THE BEST for it......

Shantanu Banerjee
from Mumbai
10 years ago

exactly My point @mohit, Glad someone else agrees too Laughing

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Congrats Vijay! Smile

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Thanks RanjithSmile

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

This thread reminded me of Google's SMS service which had to be shut down as they incurred too much cost due to the huge popularity of the service. Undecided

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Ranjith Google shut the SMS service because of gross misuse Cool just like people are misusing the Google Voice now Tongue out

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

misue? Surprised I thought that it was shut down because of losses Embarassed Misusing Google Voice? Innocent

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

You dont know anything Tongue out Check out this post> http://www.labnol.org/software/get-usa-local-phone-number/

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

I am tech challenged. Undecided

Thanks for the link Vijay.Laughing ( I opened it and immediately closed itTongue out

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Ranjith the proper word is Technoturd coined by Shri Tongue out and you did the correct thing.  That tutorial is hard to follow I managed it but am not using it for anything Tongue out

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

ok mei hoon technoturd Tongue out

Shantanu Banerjee
Shantanu Banerjee
from Mumbai
10 years ago

This is a How to Get USA local Number article VP, how does it help in sms integration? (I am a Technoturd too Frown)

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Shantanu I was pointing out to Ranjith how we can misuse the Google services Tongue out

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Undecided.

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Tongue outCool

Shantanu Banerjee
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Lol... Okies Tongue outWink