Split Blog header in two parts

Ritu KT
Ritu KT
from New Delhi
11 years ago

Friends, I need help in finding a way to split the header of my blog (Wordpress) in two parts (ratio 5:2). 

I want to add some buttons to the right part of the header.

I'd appreciate your help, thank you!

Replies 1 to 11 of 11 Descending
Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Ritu, design it in FrontPage or Dreamweaver. Copy the code and put it in your header.php file! Smile

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Knock.. knock.. Ritu, are you lost in the smileys thread? 

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

She is a noctournal female RanjithWink comes to indi only late night

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Forgot that Ritu lives outside India. Sealed

Ritu KT
from New Delhi
11 years ago

Vijay - Yes, I don't know when it started but I'm an owl now :( usually awake till 2

Ritu KT
from New Delhi
11 years ago

Ranjith - The DDLJ thread has takena life of its own. Loving the fun. I was out during the day with a friend so missed some of the smiley fun! I live in Seoul which 3 1/2 hours ahead of India

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Awake till 2! Surprised 

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Why do you always act surprised when people tell you their sleep timeInnocent

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Don't you think that everyone is supposed to sleep by 10 or 11? Tongue out

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Believe me once you leave college you will sleep at 3 or 4 in the morningSmile

Ritu KT
from New Delhi
11 years ago

I know neither FrontPage nor Dreamweaver :(

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Cant help you there Ritu, Ranjith seems to have gone hiding for a few minutesInnocent

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

@ Vijay :((

@ Ritu If you want, I can do it for you. Smile It doesn't take much time. On a paper, draw a rough sketch of how you want the header to be, text, links etc and IndiMail it to me.

And start playing with FrontPage. It is a good way to design even with no knowledge of HTML. Cool

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

I was not hiding. Undecided I was seeing if there exists a free service which can be used to take screenshots of webpages to determine colourfulness for Lex Rank. Cool

Ritu KT
from New Delhi
11 years ago

Ranjith - You would do that for me? Surprised Thanks forum king  

I need a basic split - the width of part 1 should match the post width of the left, the second part should be same width as the widget area

I want to add buttons to it later. Is this info sufficient? If not, I will create a page and send you Indimail. I know html a bit but I can't seem to locate the code to modify in my new theme Cry

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

I know that Ranjith neven doubted you for a sec, but Ritu and you seem to be playing hide and seekCool.  

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

@Ranjith check this out > http://www.flickr.com/photos/96366081@N04/9246447633/  The third line, do you understand wht it is?  

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

@ Vijay Are you asking about h1 tags or page rank flow?

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Ranjith page rank flow.

Akash KB
from Mumbai
11 years ago

@Vijay, @Ranjith: Page Rank Flow means - how much %age of PR you are keeping on your site.

In simple words - the number of outgoing links (dofollow) on your site or page shouldn't be more that the number of internal links (ofcourse dofollow) to your domain.

In this way your PR Flow will be more than 50%. If you keep max Link-juice on your page or site, it will rank higher in SERPs.

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Ok Akash can you tell me what is the optimum page rank flow for a blog?

Ritu KT
from New Delhi
11 years ago

How did you find your pagerank flow? I want to find mine too

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

for which site Ritu? I will send you the snap

Vishal Verma
Vishal Verma
from Bangalore
11 years ago

my suggestion->  Change theme which supports header widgets.. 

Ritu KT
from New Delhi
11 years ago

I worked a little bit to modify the theme I'm using right now (It's a wordpress child theme) so I do not want to change again :(

Akash KB
Akash KB
from Mumbai
11 years ago

The final aim of PR Flow etc. are meant for ranking higher in search results. You can't rank a page/site higher in an efforts to keep max PR by making all the outgoing links nofollow or not linking out to external websites.

Google looks for >200 signals while ranking content. And there are more important signals out there than Page Rank.

So, don't nofollow all the outgoing links. And keep your PR Flow @ 55 to 75%.

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Thanks Akash I have 73% Page Rank flowSmile

Akash KB
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Thats G8 Vijay Smile

Ritu KT
from New Delhi
11 years ago

Mine is 68%. Yay! Thanks to vijay for finding it out for me :)

Akash KB
Akash KB
from Mumbai
11 years ago

@Ritu KT - You are using the default WP theme "Twenty Twelve" on your blog "Things to Rave About."

And your main aim is to - Put some buttons (socials) on the right side of the header; not, splitting the header in to 2 parts, right? For this you have to add a Widget on the header.

Caution: 1. You should be able to access your site via FTP. Use FileZilla for convinience (I love it). It will save you incase of any accident.

2. Copy the existing codes from the dashboard files and save it for future reference.

Let's start...

Then, find the below codes -

register_sidebar( array( ‘name’ => __( ‘Second Front Page Widget Area’, ‘twentytwelve’ ), ‘id’ => ‘sidebar-3′, ‘description’ => __( ‘Appears when using the optional Front Page template with a page set as Static Front Page’, ‘twentytwelve’ ), ‘before_widget’ => ‘

’, ‘after_widget’ => ‘’, ‘before_title’ => ‘

’, ‘after_title’ => ‘

’, ) );

Keep a space of one line at the bottom and add the below codes -

register_sidebar( array( ‘name’ => __( ‘Banner Area’, ‘twentytwelve’ ), ‘id’ => ‘sidebar-4′, ‘description’ => __( ‘Space for ads’, ‘twentytwelve’ ), ‘before_widget’ => ‘

’, ‘after_widget’ => ‘’, ‘before_title’ => ‘

’, ‘after_title’ => ‘

’, ) );

Now, save the changes.

Then open the header.php file.

Find the below code -

Now, add the below code, directly above the 'above mentioned' code -

SAVE the changes. Voila ! You are done !!

Now visit your widget section, and there you will find a new Widget area on the header section (Rt Justified). If you add the social buttons, then it will show on the Rt side of your header. You can change the position of the buttons by adding some CSS property.

In case of any problem drop your doubts here.

Akash KB
from Mumbai
11 years ago

In the header.php file find the below code -

<nav id=”site-navigation” role=”navigation”>

Now, add the below code, directly above the 'above mentioned' code -

<?php if ( dynamic_sidebar(‘sidebar-4′) ) : else : ?> <?php endif; ?>

Save the changes. Now you are done Smile

Few codes are omitted in my previous reply. I don't know how.

Ritu KT
from New Delhi
11 years ago

Thanks Akash :) I am in the middle of my Photo A Day Experiment(PADE) now so I will implement the changes on my testing site and then make them to my website at the end of July. I will bug if I get any more doubts.

Thanks again   

Vishal Verma
Vishal Verma
from Bangalore
11 years ago
Its better not to mess with core files (newbies), just change theme, otherwise result = corrupt theme.
Ritu KT
from New Delhi
11 years ago

Thanks for the warning Vishal, I'm using a child theme Cool

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Ritu what is a child themeWink

Ritu KT
from New Delhi
11 years ago

Vijay - It's a theme that inherits the properties of the parent theme. So if I want to modify a Wordpress theme let's call it PADE (Wink) then I will create a directory called PADE-child and add the files I change from the parent theme (only CSS file is a must). This way I don't mess up the theme files :)

Ritu KT
from New Delhi
11 years ago

Oh and i forgot to add - With a child theme, I will not lose my customisation in case the theme is updated by the creaters!

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

wow so much to learn; is there a grand child theme tooInnocent

Ritu KT
from New Delhi
11 years ago

Vijay - I am yet to reach that level ;)

Ritu KT
from New Delhi
11 years ago

Vijay - my "things to rave about" blog

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

ok will post the link here

Vishal Verma
from Bangalore
11 years ago

@Ritu KT

To enable or add widget in the header, you need to modify your theme's core files.. ie header.php and functions.php .. thats why I said Its better not to mess with core files

Akash KB
Akash KB
from Mumbai
11 years ago

@Vishal - I'm also using a free theme on my blog SEOHour.com and never faced any problem anytime. You've to do experiments, either 2day or 2morrow to comeout of the newbie tagSmile

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Ritu here is your link http://www.flickr.com/photos/96366081@N04/9253854317/

@Akash in the snap the page is shown as not indexable why is that?

Ritu KT
from New Delhi
11 years ago

Thank you Vijay. It says 68%, is it good?

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Yep more than 50% is gooooodSmile

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

@ Vijay I think it is because in her robots.txt, she blocked /wp-admin/ and /wp-includes/ ( which can be blocked as there is no content in it which can be used by others )

Which plugin is that? Smile

Ritu KT
from New Delhi
11 years ago

Ranjith - What are you topic about? I couln't understand

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Ritu your own website, check the snap, there is a red button which says site is not indexable

@Ranjith, how come in your and my site if we click on articles, same says non indexable but homepage is given as fully indexable???

Ritu KT
from New Delhi
11 years ago

Should it be indexable? Actually I did not change anything in robots.txt file. These were default settings.

I'm sorry if I sound dumb but I have limited knowledge of these things as of now

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

@ Ritu Everything is fine Ritu. Stay with the default settings. Smile

@ Vijay Can you tell me which plugin is that so that I can check. Undecided

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Ranjith I dont use wordpress so no plugins!!!

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Vijay, I was asking about the Firefox ( ? ) seo plugin ( or whatever you call them ) . Innocent

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Ranjith > home page of combo http://www.flickr.com/photos/96366081@N04/9260960600/

and individual posts page > http://www.flickr.com/photos/96366081@N04/9260959818/

Please help me with this

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

SEO Doctor 1.6.2 http://www.prelovac.com/vladimir/browser-addons/seo-doctor

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Canonical URL : If you have different URL's all pointing to the same page ( for example, www.example.com/toys, www.example.com/?category=toys ) then you can use a canonical tag to state which of the URL's you want search engines to use.

In your case, see the URL in the 2nd screenshot. It is comboupdates.com/postname/.#abcd

The abcd at the end is being set by some script on your page. Since the canonical url specified on the page does not contain the .#abcd, the plugin is saying that comboupdates.com/postname/.#abcd is not indexable but still comboupdates.com/postname is indexable. So, no need to worry but still check which script is causing the .#abcd part to be added at the end of the url.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

@Vijay I'll  check with the plugin...

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

OK Ranjith thanks, I know the page is being indexed because it appears in GA search index  but still was worried about it a bit

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

It took me almost 10 minutes to realize that clicking on the bar of that stats shows the deatiled results! Innocent

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

aha the beauty of firefoxSmile It took me 15 minutes to find out the name of the plugin

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

=))

Disable JavaScript in your FireFox browser and you will see that SEO Doctor shows that the page is indexable. So, the URL change ( adding the .#abcd ) part at the end is the cause. Smile

But I wonder which plugin / gadget does such URL manipulation! Innocent

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Ranjith how to disable JS in FirefoxInnocent

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

=))

• Click Firefox on top left corner -> Click Options.
  • A dialog box opens. Click 'Content' on the top bar of that dialog box.
  • Uncheck 'Enable JavaScript' and click 'OK'. 

Smile

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Done Ranjith you were right thanks        

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Smile .

LockSign in to reply to this thread