How to track query string in Google Analytics

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

In my GA account, the referral sources from IndiBlogger are being shown without the query string, even after creating a custom report to show the 'Full Referrer'. For example, indiblogger.in/indipost.php is being shown as a source instead of indiblogger.in/indipost.php?id=XXX.

Can anyone tell me how to configure GA to record the query string.

Replies 1 to 6 of 6 Descending
Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago
kposts.php 4 1.00 00:00:00 75.00% 100.00% 2. /indivine.php 3 1.00 00:00:00 100.00% 100.00% 3. /blogger/53587/ 1 5.00 00:06:14 100.00% 0.00% 4. /indipost.php 1 3.00 00:10:40 100.00% 0.00% 5. /indivine_category.php 1 2.00 00:02:20 100.00% 0.00% Show rows:102550100250500100025005000Go to:1 - 5 of 5

Mine shows like this and i have not created any custom report yet for the referrals

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

How is the full URL being shown without a custom report? Innocent I think that I am missing something. 

What I want is, instead of recording /indipost.php as a source, I want /indipost.php?id=1234 to be recorded. The page /indipost.php doesn't exist on IB. The part that follows ? is being truncated in the report.

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

yep may be "I think that I am missing something". But a interesting point.  the indiblogger.in/blogger/53587 leads directly to my profile page.    meanwhile I will raise this query in productforums

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

indiblogger.in/blogger/53587 will of course lead you to your profile page. Tongue out

And  indiblogger.in/blogger/34101 will lead to my profile page. Wink

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

yep that is my point we want to see which post is exactly being reffered right?

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Yes! Smile

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

@ Renie Bad URL choices. You are making lives difficult for us. Tongue out

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Yell for Renie

Hey Rajni,

Read this, as it says custom report will force them to display, check here

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

I've already tried that thing ( Method 2 shown on that page ) but it didn't work. Frown

Hunky, did you try it with your blog?

R**** should be added to the swear word list. FrownCry

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
11 years ago

Whats wrong with that method one ?? That too didnt work ??

In case of me, since I am in self hosted, I have access to raw server logs, which are far more accurate compare to GA (code based) so I rely on server generated stats Foot in mouth

I will give this thing a try to see if I can get it running, but I guess chances are slow since if you could not do it right then I may too find issues there, but still will give it try as for learning purpose..

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Didn't try method one as I found method 2 better.

Will try method 2 now...

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

* try method 1

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

I think using method 2 ( modifying the code ) for blogger blogs is not possible ( or I don't don't know how to do it ) since the body tag should be modified

<body onload="javascript:urchinTracker(document.referrer);">
Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
11 years ago

Never tried blogger, so cant comment there in blogger, practically never liked blogger Foot in mouth

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Do you use GA or completely rely on your server logs?

• Code based logs can never be accurate because of so many different browser and extension and blockers and compatibility and such issues..
  • Server logs are good in detecting visits and such
  • GA has advantage of being present every where hence can give you metrix like Average Visit time and bounce rate by taking help from other Google products and loging feature for the mentioned IP / visitor for visitor..

Over all server, apache or such generated logs are more accurate compare GA where as GA gives more flexibility in analysing the data Tongue out

I use both, where GA mainly to understand the visitors activity to shape my write up and content as per that, where as server logs are there to understand accurate visit details !!

Do i sound complicated Innocent ?

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Do i sound complicated?

Not for me. Tongue outWink

Two days back, I've installed something to track bots ( Google and other bots ) to my site that uses php to analyse the incoming requests and sends the stats to GA.

I will soon install AWStats also. That is the one you are using, right?

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
11 years ago

there are many available, they all just make the raw server logs readable and viewable.. out of the stats reader given by hostgator, i find AwStats more noobe friendly with less cluttered reading pane Tongue out serving only vital details Tongue out

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Installed AW Stats. The statistics for all websites are being shown at one place. Don't know how to separate them.

Moreover, 90% of the visits are my own visits. Don't know how to exclude them.

So, I'll be happy with my analytics Smile

Moreover, what I actually wanted is viewing the complete IB referral sources for my blogger blog and AWStats will be of no help. Frown

LockSign in to reply to this thread