Need new categories when posting on IndiVine

Prasanna Seshadri
Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Hi, I just started using IndiBlogger. I'm not sure where to post this, and since I'm a bit green to the forum, I hope I'm not posting in the wrong place or something.

Anyway, I'm a puzzle author at the International level, and put up the puzzles I create on my blog when they're not required for any competition (or when a competition's done). Anyway, I decided to post on IndiVine, and I chose Entertainment and Arts & Theatre because I'm not sure what else of the categories I can post into. Puzzle blogging isn't that common, so I understand there's no dedicated category for that, but can there be something that vaguely describes what I post about?

Replies 1 to 9 of 9 Descending

I too need one category for automotive blog.. My blog and its entires doesn't fit anywhere Yell

Fairy Princess
Fairy Princess
from Delhi
11 years ago

I just vistied your blog. It's definitely unique Smile And so you have unique problem like Hunky Wink

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
11 years ago

puzzling problem Tongue out

Prasanna Seshadri
Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Haha, yeah. There's only a handful of puzzle bloggers in India that I know of, so I understand it being a unique issue. Smile

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
11 years ago

You may qualify for sports category i guess.. would you ?? Innocent

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
11 years ago

@Hunky, unfortunately, puzzles are not a part of sports. I think they fall under entertainment category.

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
11 years ago

@Pankti..

I am confused, as auther said he may consider it as sports where as reader says its entertainment.. but sports are entertainment also naa Innocent

Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
11 years ago

I think it can qualify as an intellectual sport on the same level as Chess. But I think "game" would be more accurate, as, for one thing, its not mainstream yet, and for another, Chess being a sport is itself a debated topic (Although I'm of the view it is one).

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
11 years ago

@Hunky, you know my opinion about sports...but I love Sudoko...so somehow I can't bear seeing Sudoko with sleazy cricket. But if the author is fine, then who am i to say anything else WinkSmile

Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Haha, everything has good and bad, so I don't see it being an issue Laughing

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
11 years ago

@pankti..

Sreeshant proved you right Cry

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
11 years ago

@Hunky, I AM ALWAYS right WinkSmile

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
11 years ago

@Pantki..

And rich too Tongue out

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Someone distributing gold coins...? Wink

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
11 years ago

@Ranjit..

No One Cry, I wish some one did Innocent since the gold price has fallen that much

Prasanna Seshadri
Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Oh, I definitely think its as good as a sport, since there's a World Championship for it and many competitions in different countries too. But I can understand if my views don't meet the general. If I get the OK to post in Sports, I'm fine with that.

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
11 years ago

In IndiVine, try the other sports section under sports..

http://www.indiblogger.in/indivine_subcat.php?id=74

Prasanna Seshadri
Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Ah, read through those and that seems perfect actually. Thanks Hunky.

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

So many different kinds of sudoku puzzles! Innocent

I think we can use this thread to discuss about the new categories which we want to be added to IndiVine. Such a thing was done earlier and new categories requested by the members were added. Smile

Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Well only some of it is Sudoku and variations. Others are puzzles in their own naming ;) There's 1000s and 1000s of puzzle types out there, Sudoku is one of them and probably the most popular. I've invented a few myself, so the list keeps growing.

Just knowledge for knowledge sake ;)

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

OK. I have just scanned through the home page and found too many rectangular grids and so thought that all of them were Sudoku variants. Looking a bit closer, I find other things too. But solving them is not my cup of tea. Undecided

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

@ Prasanna Here are some weird suggestions Sealed

• Computers and IT : Programming - If you write blog posts which give a clear strategy to solve the puzzle
  • Science : Maths - For puzzles revolving around graphs 
  • LifeStyle : Education 
Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Well.. I don't write strategies because thats just way too vast a topic to cover, seeing as there's all kinds of logic that can be used. I think I do make calculations related puzzles sometimes (Search for Killer Sudoku for one), so yeah Maths can work then. Thanks for the input. :)

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
11 years ago

Please add Automotive section for my blog Cry

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Renie will be doing that, not me! Tongue out

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

@ Hunky

LifeStyle -> Cars and Bikes ? Innocent

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
11 years ago

Who created the category ?? Sealed Cars and Bike why in Life Style, there should be automotive category..

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Isn't lifestyle a good top category for Cars and Bikes? Sealed

The categories bar is already full. It would be too difficult to accomodate more. 

One solution is to have tags in addition to categories...

Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
11 years ago

We already have threads on this issue (created by me Cool) sometime back here and here but dont remember anything being implemented. Innocent

Prasanna, valid concern. For now... you could try arts and theater / maths / offbeat and personal. They look good to me. Smile

The thing is category additions need a lot of thinking over as that would amount to inclusion of sub categories and we need to know what they would be, why we need them in the first place and how many want them before steps can be taken in that direction.

Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Yes I agree with that. For my case, I'd suggest maybe instead of Sports, make it Games and Sports, and add a sub category "Logic Puzzles"? Crossword blogs, other Sudoku blogs etc. can fall under this too in future.

Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Or add a subcategory directly, in either sports or entertainment. I'm fine with either. I understand this isn't a vast enough topic to make a category over.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

but dont remember anything being implemented. 

I thought that new caegories were added talking clue from the discussion on that thread. Innocent

Arti
from Mumbai
11 years ago

@Ranjith: I dont think so since there was no official word there. Undecided

@Prasanna I guess, the question for the IndiTeam is how many are in need of the subcategory 'Logic puzzles'. Even though your concern sounds genuine, but since your demand (as of now) is unique.. I am not sure if the suggestion of a new subcategory would be feasible right now.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

But, in the spreadsheet, I notice that OffBeat and Personal > Short Stories, Poetry are struck off. Does that mean that they were added later or is it some other thing? Innocent

Looking at that spreadsheet, I feel that IndiBlogger category / sub category is the first that needs to be added to the existing list of categories.

Arti
from Mumbai
11 years ago

@Ranjith The additions / subtractions / striking off you see in the spreadsheet are mere propositions put forward by the members based on the discussions. Not implementations since they never got implemented. Innocent

If you observe carefully, you will see 'Literature / Creative writing' added as a new category in the sheet which is then further divided into smaller sub categories like fiction, etc. That is how OffBeat and Personal > Short Stories & Poetry gets struck off. Smile

Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Well thats alright. I put it in other sports today and have more people interested in it than yesterday, so going by that, it seems to fit in there.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

OK! 

Arti
from Mumbai
11 years ago

And yes,

Looking at that spreadsheet, I feel that IndiBlogger category / sub category is the first that needs to be added to the existing list of categories.

I agree.. since this issue has been in the request queue for a long time now.

@Prasanna: Nice to hear that. :)

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Why doesn't some IndiPolice tag the Inditeam on this categories/tags matter? Undecided

Arti
from Mumbai
11 years ago

+1

Animesh
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Tagged

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

I hope that there won't arise a need to tag Renie again after two years. Sealed