Should book promotions be allowed?

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

We do not allow commercial activity here nor promotion of blogs. So should people be allowed to promote books or e-books here. I have at least seen 2 threads on e-book promotions.

The reason I started the thread is to get the pulse of the public opinion before Indipolice start cracking down on such threads. So far the promotions have been less and not become a nuisance. But if lot of people start doing it, it has potential to become like blog promotions.

But as of now everyone seem enthusiastic about such threads ane encouraging, maybe because most blogger's desire at the bottom of the heart if to write a book. So wanted to check what people feel about this first before taking action.

Another alternative is to create a thread exclusively for book/e-book promotions and direct all such activity there instead of letting people create threads for each and every book. 

Replies 1 to 9 of 9 Descending
DS
DS
from Mumbai
11 years ago
I think that if a blogger has any major achievements then he/she should be allowed to share it here on the forum so that it can inspire others. Not only books, suppose a cricket bloggers article is published on cricinfo then he should be allowed to share it here, similar achievements for a food/travel/photography/poetry blogger in their respective fields. Creating one thread for all this is a good idea but then that thread has to be sticky for it to serve its purpose.
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

@DS - Rather than sharing achievements, it seems as if they are trying to get people to buy/download their books/e-books. And usually these are people who are making their fist appearance here. And usually there isn't any other kind of participation from them here. Do we need at all to encourage them?

C. Suresh
from Bangalore
11 years ago

I think you could choose an option like the one for asking for reviews on your blogs - create a separate forum topic. As you rightly point out, as bloggers the need for promoting out writing is there and if you refuse the outlet then you will find those promotions flooding the forum - either as separate threads or as msg. postings on other threads. One thread for all book promotions may not be as attractive an option as a separate forum topic. If you had such a topic, you could lock delete threads elsewhere for being in the wrong category.

it ought not be done.plain No from me.

Sherna Jayaraman
Sherna Jayaraman
from Hyderabad
11 years ago

I feel our forum is rather broad. We could make sections for  forum topics like "PROMOTIONS" "CONTESTS" "BLOGGING" etc. I agree at few points with @TF like mostly it seems the author is asking INdiB friends to BUY the book, But after all its an achievement.

If there's a valid platform to share, then it should be of no harm.

Sherna Jayaraman
from Hyderabad
11 years ago

Its posibble that earlier there were some sections and all, I am a newbie to IndiB and I am not aware how it was earlier, but then I think its the need of the hour.

Aditya Dey
Aditya Dey
from Kolkata
11 years ago
I think everyone should have a signature file under their name.......in that they can attach their e book link or blog's link.....and to become eligible for the signature, the person needs to be an active forum member.....
Madhur Chadha
Madhur Chadha
from Hyderabad
11 years ago

starting a blog is not a big deal and everyone here has one but publishing a book requires some effort and time and to be frank this IS the forum where people might find their first reviewers and readers and maybe buyers....everyone knows that all members have a blog but we cannot possibly know about someone's book unless they tell us ...hence  I would say Aye..We Should allow book promotions 

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

I guess general mood is to support book promotions unless it is done by someone who is not already a member and has joined community solely to promote his book.  Or still worse people working in publishing companies regularly promoting books. SO far we have not had them. But they can come in future. So if a newly joined member starts off by promoting a book, should he/she be given benefit of doubt or should we just clamp down on the thread?

Also what kind of books we promote. There are books published by publishers. There are books self published or publishing on demand. Then there are e-books on Kindle and finally there are just pdf books compiled and uploaded somewhere. Do we let all of these be promoted or be selective which we allow and which we do not.

Shalu Sharma
Shalu Sharma
from Patna, Delhi
11 years ago

I think Indiblogger needs to change. I signature should be allowed. This way more people would like to take part. Lets face it, why should I waste my time answering questions? What do I get in return? Most forums allow you to add your link in your signature. 

Arti
from Mumbai
11 years ago

A few joyous moments of sharing and caring.. and a packet of happiness. Wink

Stagg Mann
Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
11 years ago

No, don't allow it.

The Nameless One
The Nameless One
from Mumbai
11 years ago

My opinion here is it doesn't hurt. What is the ratio of people publishing a book to their blog? Quite a difference isn't it? And as you yourself said, writing and publishing a book is a achievement for someone, espedially a blogger. So long as the person is a genuine part of the community and not just here for promotion it's cool really.

Well having a separate thread for book promotions is a good idea too, but why give away a few days fame for a author here? Besides these threads go down in a matter of days anyways.

LockSign in to reply to this thread