Better than blaming "Shameless self promotion". "

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
12 years ago

If a new member (or an experienced old member) tries to promote her(or his) blog in forum, we need to have a better way to deal with it other than getting frustrated by it and deleting it. Shouldn't we?

A humble suggestion from my side is, first we can warn her. If she doesn't respond to it with the right sense, we can say "your blog is the worse I've seen in my life" rather than contributing new words into the forum dictionary. If we do this, we can give some relax to our dear Captain in one of his routine jobs. Still, he will need to search for irrelevant threads. But let us do what we can.

This is only a suggestion. If you have better ones, please share. Anyway, we need one. I suppose.

Edited 12 years ago
Reason: Spelling mistake.
Replies 1 to 18 of 18 Descending
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
12 years ago

Assume that someone tried to promote his blog here by asking for review. And then ten of us gave our review as his blog is good for nothing, I think he himself will delete the thread after reading that.

Yatin Khurana
from delhi
12 years ago
and what if he or rather say she gets hurt and seriously stops blogging (good in a way though :-P). the heinous crime we'll be committing by making her believing she is a useless junk and killing all her hope /// I won't be in that 9 who'll comment /// I always give a sincere feedback
Senoraroy
from Meerut
12 years ago

I think a person who is blogging shouldn't be so mean that he start all that, but sometimes it may happen just cause one doesn't know!! And a person if he/she isnt able to provide good content should be reviewed in a way to motivate .afterall the person who has made is better than those who cannot make ........saying bad words or something is very cheap way of expression and expected from illetrates no one else!!!!!!

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
12 years ago

I'm sorry that you didn't get my point Senoraroy. I do not ask you to say bad words to a person who values others opinions in through this thread. I ask you to tell the same to him who commits a mistake and justifies it.

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I tend to get angry with people who want to shamelessly push themselves forward and some times feeling what you have suggested. But that is not the right thing to do. It is called passive agression - a highly negative form of behavior. Better to be asseetive and tell person what he/she has done wrong instead of randomly criticizing their blog. You will be lowering your own respect by doing that.

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
12 years ago

I'll tell you what happens here usually.

A blogger ask for review here.

Then someone says" you are not supposed to give blog links or post your blog posts here in forums. It'll be called as Shameless Self Promotion and the thread will be deleted".

He replys "Who are you to say that"? I'll do whatever I want.

Then someone else says "please use Indivine for all such promotions".

He politely invites both of them for sex (using colloquial terms)

Then someone says "please stop flamming. This is against the spirit of the community.

At this moment our Captain enters and delete the thread.

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

And this is how it should be. Only addition required is any kind of rudeness on part of the newbie should invite a ban from the forum. Otherwise it is fine.

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
12 years ago

Now lets see what happens in a different way.

A blogger ask for review here.

Then someone says" you are not supposed to give blog links or post your blog posts here in forums. It'll be called as Shameless Self Promotion and the thread will be deleted".

He replys "Who are you to say that"? I'll do whatever I want.

Then the commenter says " I read your blog my friend. Sorry to tell you that that's the worst I seen in my life".

Apparantely he invites him most politely for sex.

The commenter, instead of accepting that invitation, advises him to concentrate more on blogging than in sex.

In the mean time another ten bloggers joins the commenter and says he must quit blogging.

He keeps quiet since he doesn't have capacity to invite all of them for sex.

The thread remains intact. No one joins it and it gets to the back stage.

How's this??????

Nirati
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Hahahahaaaa :P 

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
12 years ago

In this system, you will not need to use any abusive words, any bitter comments, delete any threads, ban any members.

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Too good, Jayan. You made my day. Had a really hearty laugh. Keep it up, man. 

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
12 years ago

Thank you TF. I'll try.

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
12 years ago

@ Yatin.  I think you were in one such row few days before. That thread was deleted later. Isn't it?

Yatin Khurana
from delhi
12 years ago
yup and was waiting for someone to join me // next time I'll ping you :-D

Imagine this situation. You're watching the best movie ever. Your phone rings in the middle of it. And they are selling new insurance policy. Don't you get pissed off?

The same thing happens here. Fruitful discussions go around. Knowledge is shared. And then suddenly comes up saying "Please have a look at my blog here", "Please write a review for me". Isn't it the same? It gets irritating. You have IndiVine for the same purpose. Don't use forums for that. 

And Jayan sir, You talked about that discussion thing. Right, that would keep them silent, but what are we left with? Doesn't that degrade the quality of the forums?

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
12 years ago
No Ritvik, it doesn't degrade quality of forums. The point I say is, we must not get frustrated when someone ask for a review. Frustration should be his who does it. I have one suggestion. If you have another, please share.

Well, then with all due respect I don't agree with your suggestion. No offense! Smile

I guess, we have moderators for moderating the forums. That's their job, and I guess that's how it is to be done.

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
12 years ago
@Ritvik, if you say it's moderator's job, you must not say anything if someone ask for review here. By chance if you say something to it and he calls you by names, what will you do? The thread getting deleted is not compensatory to you being called by all abusive words. Is it?

Compare this with a real life situation. A man just comes and steals a purse from a lady. Technically, It's the police job to catch the theif and prosecute it. But as a civilian too, as a responsible citizen, you too can help her. Same way, whenever I get a chance, I try to correct or make them aware of the rules here. 

Please tell me if I'm not supposed to do this, and I'll stop! Smile

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
12 years ago

@ Ritvik. Assume a lady comes and slaps a man without purpose. (Sometimes that too happen.) Either you and your friends can call police for his help or do something on your own as responsible citizens. She may rebuke at you then. You (including your friends) must do something then. Police arresting her later won't compensate for what you suffered. Do you get my point?

pramod arora
pramod arora
from gurgaon
12 years ago

warm her.....????? it made me laugh ;-)

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
12 years ago

what if she doesn't get warmed up herself? Anyway, I'll correct it now.

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

So we conclude the discussion here with the words that mods are here to take care of wrong doers and other members are requested to mind their own business and not play mini mod? - Anyways playing mini mod gets us no brownie points either I think. Our posts gets deleted with the thread and does not add to post count.

Yatin Khurana
from delhi
12 years ago
why that '?' after mini mod.....typo or something hidden there
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I am asking if that is the final conclusion. Question is open to the house.

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
12 years ago
I think that is the conclusion TF. But all agrees that we need a better solution than calling moderators. I'm happy that with this thread that much was approved. Let's wait for that solution.
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
12 years ago
@yatin. There should be a course of action for the community when everything else fails. I have one which only you have appreciated. Do you have any suggestions yatin?
Yatin Khurana
from delhi
12 years ago

for community actions...the best of course is yours

i mean it should be SAAM DAAM DAND BHED

first we'll make him understand the rules 

then obviously we cannot pay him

so to punish him we wait for the moderators (and you want us to punish him more than what moderators do...i.e. delete the thread) . there is where i support you but the problem again is we are more than 45,000 of us.... a group of ten thus can harm a blogger. he wants us to review, and if we provide him yes we can just make him low by saying the blog bad. we can even add elements like, that widget had this meaning and all and demolarise him...which would be correct if he had used abusive words (and called us for some sex :P ). but then i doubt ........ i don't know why but i doubt this step....!! something is wrong there......though if he is abusing it is obviously better than we abusing back...but let's wait for what other says

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
12 years ago

That won't be demoralising Yatin. He will understand why we say "his blog is bad". That's only a humourous way to make him calm.

If by chance he becomes sad, we can encourage him then. But then he won't be abusing us.

Moreover, everyblogger who visits this forum sees this thread and lots of them would have gone through it. So there is no secret in it. We are not going for a silent operation. It is more open than deleting the thread. He will understand why those comments were made against him.

Nirati
Nirati
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I don't think we should really comment rudely or give such comments stating that their blog is horrible. Maybe they just didn't know! Warning followed by reporting and deleting the forum topic is enough no? Why be mean to people? 

Sanhita Baruah
Sanhita Baruah
from Guwahati
12 years ago

Why be so rude? why not instead tell her what she can change about her blog or her way of writing? and if you're pissed why not just tell her that promotions should be done on indivine only. but demoralising a person , making them insecure and doubtful of their abilities , no matter how their abilities are, is hurtful. we should never make someone feel that they are'nt good enough.. coz evry1 is gud in their own way.. n if they r bad,, well , they wil see the mirror themslvs n improve..instead of being shown the mirror by others, in which case they myt just break the mirror , the person too :P and cry..delete their blog,, or myt nvr wryt agn evn if whn there were chances of improving

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
12 years ago

@Blahblaholic, Sanhita, I'm really sorry and sad that you didn't understand what I said. Might be because I didn't explain it well. 

Discouraging a blogger is not my appeal. Please read the wall comments again and still if you think the same, please indimail me. I'll explain to you.

LockSign in to reply to this thread