How many of you like harsh criticism on your blog?

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
12 years ago

To review a blog, I think this information is necessary. I'm so happy to review your blog if you don't complain by saying "you must appreciate my view point also. This is my blog."

You can say whatever you want about my blog. You can comment to it without waiting for approval.

First 1-20
21-36
Replies 21 to 36 of 36 Descending
Purnendu
Purnendu
from Pune
12 years ago

@Jaya

Now I would like your criticism on my other blog, The Mutinous Indian

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
12 years ago

@Purnendu. I have posted my review.

Purnendu
from Pune
12 years ago

Thanks Jay :)

Ira PT
Ira PT
from India
12 years ago

@Jaya

See that is the point.  For people with fragile ego a hill may appear as a mountain.  If I stand at guard, I will only be listening and not imbibing anything.It is their view point. 

Waise,  you have not reviewed my blog. Leave alone the harsh or subtle comments.

:)

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
12 years ago

I'm giving  reviews Ira. Will definitely give yours also.

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
12 years ago

I have posted my review.

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Most of us prefer good reviews and appreciation for our blogs, but it is good if we have experts or knowledge guys correct if we draw wrong conclusion with proper justification.  I welcome constructive criticism and not flaming.  

Sanhita Baruah
Sanhita Baruah
from Guwahati
12 years ago

I would love it if you review my blog and criticize it honestly whether positively or negatively . hope it wont be a waste of your time

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
12 years ago

I have posted my review.

Akshay Iyer
Akshay Iyer
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Honestly, I would welcome negative opinions and invite criticism. After being surrounded by people who do not have more than a sycophant's attitude, it is always better to encounter someone who can give an honest opinion in order to prevent the blogger or writer to fly high. 

Yatin Khurana
from delhi
11 years ago

kinda yes !!

btw when is my review up !!i spent a lot time and none commented o'er my blog and the changes i've made at times.i do wanna know the changes i've been making are serving it's purpose !!jayan can i expect a review ?? 

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

Definitely Yatin. I'll give you my review.

Arvind Passey
Arvind Passey
from Delhi
11 years ago

A review isn't necessarily going to be all praise... and anyway, even if one feels a review is unduly harsh, it needs to be accepted as it is another perspective. However, 'harshness' of a review must never be equated with an act of sabotage or an attack or just a personal enimity cooment. It is the latter three that must be punished... 

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

I disagree with you there. The point is you can't tell among personal enemity and genuine dislike.

C. Suresh
from Bangalore
11 years ago

If I get criticism with reasons and, possibly, suggestions for improvement I can understand that it does not come from personal dislike or enmity.

Any negative criticism without reasons on my blog, when the reader had the option to go without commenting, comes only from 4 types of people : 1. The ignorant who think their opinion has to be voiced everywhere and somehow adds to the author's knowledge of how his post is faring when it should be clear that blog comments can never be a proper indicator of how good/popular a post is 2. The rude or sadistic ones who like spreading unhappiness around merely because they are temporarily unhappy 3. Those souls who have the hunger to go around telling other people how superior they are by pulling other people down and 4. Out of a general hatred of all humanity or personal hatred for me. None of the four types appeal to me and, thus, any negative comment that does not give reasons is garbage and I treat it as such.

Suggestions about turning off the comment system is like asking me to throw the baby out with the bath water. Merely because some people behave badly does not mean that I have to shut myself away from genuine critcism as well. After all, I can just delete stupid comments.

my blog is what it is, tread at your own risk, if you dislike anything, leave silently, with gastric juices boiling. i no care. harsh comment would disturb my gastric juices, and ,my intestines enjoy the luxury i have given them since childhood. 

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

I'm not commenting to your blog. But a simple suggestion to you is that "letting gastric juices  boil frequently leads to acidity".

Kalindi
Kalindi
from Mumbai
11 years ago

I wouldn't mind it. But why do you only talk about 'harsh criticism' ? I mean, if you keep criticizing everything I post, obviously I will take offence to it. It's not just about picking on somebody's flaws/errors/mistakes, but also about appreciating what someone has taken the effort to write about!

As far as criticism is concerned, it (my reaction) is very subjective. Depends on what kind of review comment you pass ;)

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

I do not give harsh comments to anyone. I just want to know how many bloggers accept it.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
11 years ago

I doubt a lot will admit it. If they do, one should check if they have a system if they only post comments after moderation. They say that its to prevent but that's all B.S. Akismet takes care of most of the spams by default, same goes for disqus and such commenting system. One doesn't simply have to accept what they say. If they say it, let them say it. Interestingly, you as a writer can learn something based on what people say on the comment section, especially if you get bunch of people who are not pushed in by an angry person or those with no lives+ multiple proxy accounts+ proxy IP. I keep it up. I may remove it if its fueled with personal hatred but I doubt a writer in my genre will have that- atleast not directly. But I keep it up because I know that if I remove the comments that I don't like, I am discouraging them to come back to the site. There will be that black spot at a back of your head that will remind you everytime you see that blog link. If you cant keep an open mind or criticism, don't quit your day job. But if some people have misunderstanding, clear that misunderstanding over there infront of the public rather than saying "oh if you have any doubts, queries, griviences, email me". Yeah right- as if!

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

I've posted my review.

Himanshu Nagpal
Himanshu Nagpal
from Delhi
11 years ago

Well, I guess it is ok as long as it helps a blogger to improve his/her blog. 

Himanshu Nagpal | Being Traveler

http://www.beingtraveler.com

Sameer Gupta
Sameer Gupta
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Yes harsh criticism from the citics who qualify in the context wrote a post about  it 

http://xp.rs.af.cm/articles/ylivne-quora-anderskaseorg-johndcook-given-godel-i-don-t-rule-out-the-chance-of-being-wrong-policy.htm

I, for one, don't really care whether the review is harsh or not. If it makes sense, I'll either justify myself or try and improve. If it doesn't... Bah... who cares!! But I do have comment moderation on my blogs, and that is only because there are some people out there who write stuff that has got nothing to do with anything on my blog. This one time, I got a comment saying "What the f... is this? This is just a waste of my time!" And when I emailed the person as to what went wrong, I got no reply.

But if someone tells me, why or how, they feel that I can improve then I'm all ears! Trashing is just something that I cannot bear, especially if it's on my blog.Smile

Regards,

II

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

I agree with you II

Nirati
Nirati
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Constructive critcism makes a lot of sense at times, just 'bad writing' / 'I don't like this post' would be annoying useless comments in my opinion. I don't mind someone telling me where I'm going wrong/how to better my blog though. And yeah, if sometimes I feel the point is baseless, I might argue too! :P A tad bit .. 

First 1-20
21-36
LockSign in to reply to this thread