Disciplinary action or resting Seniors for Asia Cup ? Debate

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Shewag, Gautam Gambhir and Zaheer have been rested to recoup medically.  I feel the whip has been cracked on them for dissent on the recent Australian tour.  I am disappointed that Sachin has not been made vice captain instead Virat Kohli.  Debate

Replies 1 to 5 of 5 Descending
DS
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Gautam Gambhir has not been rested/dropped. He is in the team. And Sachin is there in the team, thats debatable enough, what would have happened if he was the vice captain!!! Would have liked to see Gautam as the VC.
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Yes agree Gauti has not been dropped from the team but his vice captaincy post has gone, Sachin should have given V C post i feel if he has been selected

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Sachin has never been vice captain since his stint as captain I think. Such a great player can not be made a vice captain under a junior player. I don't think Gavaskar was vice captain under Kapil or Kapi under Azhar.

Leo
Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

I dont agree with Mr. Kris Srikkanth's first words to the press on the Kohli vice captaincy... "We have to look toward the future." If that was the case, Tendulkar should also have been "rested". How long does the Indian team be put on backseat while he chases that elusive hundredth ton? I agree with DS that Gamhir should have been VC. Kohli is a good player, but I dont think he has matured enough to lead the ranks should MSD be unavailable. As for the rest of the team, now that both Zak and Umesh arent there, I hope to see Praveen and Irfan lead the bowling...

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Virat Kohli came into the team with Yuvraj out of the reckoning because of health reason, i hope we don t end up making the same mistake, at this very early stage VC means that his batting is bound to suffer.  Whether we want a vice captain badly or retain a good player till he is absolutely confident or mature enough.  Too many vice captains will call for a rift in future too

Vishal Kataria
Vishal Kataria
from Thane
12 years ago

We've already won the Asia Cup on more than one instance. Plus, we'll get another chance next year.

We can call it whatever we want; axing senior players, punishing them, etc. But this will turn out to be a welcome break for them and a great opportunity for youngsters to prove themselves.

Let the fun begin...

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

The selectors had a tough time explaining the selection, it is bound to happen now that they are paid for.  I am sure on the sub continent India's performance will be better

Dhiraj Shenoy
Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Sad for Sehwag though he deserves to be sacked . Sad for Gauti because its not the right thing to do , when he has performed in most of the matches and is in form Batsmen . Kohli is has lucky as Dhoni . Kohli still has lot to prove before he hit the centre stage . Dhoni smart guy , just getting things the way he wanted by acting like a puppet of BCCI . Tendulkar Shameless , despite knowing fact that he has become burden of the team , still says he is available for selection, though he still deserve a position in team despite his form . Selectors are nothing but set of jokers . Hope people/followers at least now start to realise that BCCI is making a big fool out of them .

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Selection of the team has corporate pressure to a certain extent, with BCCI President himself with interests.  He requires Dhoni at the helm for shoring up his corporate brand.  Even Sachin on his own would have paved way for youngsters at least in One day but Corporates who have signed up for endorsements want him in the team.  I am not sure Virat will be able to call the shots, i hope he forgets that he vice captain and concentrates on his batting improvement

Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

The position going to Virat is a downer. May be it could be due to my personal non-liking towards him, I don't really know. But I would have liked to see Gautam in place of him.

But then again, I doubt if all this really matters. I wonder, Exactly what amount of say/influence Kohli would be having in formulation of strategies/decisions with the presence of senior players in the squad?

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I too feel budding Virat Kohli into decision making is a wrong move, he should have ensured that his place is permanent by stellar batting performance for another 2 years.  Another issue is that of too much partying which can affect his career and personality if he does not keep it under control

LockSign in to reply to this thread