Is google search traffic really useful for non informational blogs?

Sairam Rajamani
Sairam Rajamani
from Bangalore
12 years ago

90% of people who come to my blog from google search don't read even one another page. I thought, maybe I write bad or my presentation is bad. Then I asked couple more successfull of my blogger friends and they said the same thing. I found that the main reason for such a poor performance is irrelevance of traffic. People come to my blog with searches like 'women in gym', 'parenting tips'. My posts for these are funny. But they probably are not looking for witty remarks. Maybe?

My opinion is, if you are an information dissemination blog like (a tech or travel or cookery blog), Google is of great help to you. Because people searching info turn to google and ask questions like 'goa beeches' or 'rava idli recipie' and come to your blog. At least a good percentage of your visitors do. But if you are writing personal blog or humour blog where you need audience who like your style of writing then Google is not of great help to you.

What do you guys think?

PS: My thoughts got triggered when I found myself in disagreement with another thread http://www.indiblogger.in/forum/topic.php?id=10383

Edited 12 years ago
Reason: I had put it in off topic. And the post was not even visible!
Replies 1 to 3 of 3 Descending
Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago
I have ppl visiting me for "lovers place in mumbai" n "secret places for couples in mumabi" beat that ;)
DS
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
I agree with you Sairam. If I come on a blog searching for something and open a url and if it does not comply with my expectations then I will quickly close it. Now yours being a humourous take on things, people will generally close it as they are searching for something in all seriousness!!!
Sairam Rajamani
Sairam Rajamani
from Bangalore
12 years ago

@Hemal

In one of your post, I saw the top keywords thru which people reach your. Unbelievable!

@Subash, @DS

It's just that there are so many pearls of wisdom that harp on SEO and keywords! But 50% of blogs are personal blogs for which they do not apply (googlers are coming to a personal blog for an irrelevant keyword to start with). There is really a gap between what is being advised and what is happening.

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Sairam, the issue is with the bloggers starting to adapt keywords not really part of the article just for search results and to increase hits!
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago
And as far as my post was concerned, its true to this day... ;)

LockSign in to reply to this thread