Posting links in replies

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
13 years ago

There is an other forum thread that address self promotion but this is something different. This is about inserting links in an acceptable way.

We are here either to learn more about blogging or to promote our blogs. So it would be ridiculous if we say that links should not be added in your threads.

Here are some things I think we should not not be doing:

• Signing all of your replies with a link to your blog.
  • Inserting links not related to the topic in discussion.
  • Replying with just a link and no content.
  • Replying without reading the entire thread or atleast a part of it.

And here are a few things which you should follow while inserting links

• If someone has asked a question related to blogging that can be answered in just one or two lines, it isn't advisable to place a link.
  • Even if the information that you wish to provide is lengthy, write a short summary and only then insert a link.
  • Instead of simply inserting the link in this way: www.example.com, use anchor text to link in this way ( example) so that the discussion does not look spammy.

And if someone is found dropping links (especially newbies) don't simply accuse them. Forum rules are not the same everywhere. You need to tell the fact in a proper way. Simply calling them a spammer will only make them leave the community for ever. And that is not what anyone on this forum would like to happen.

These are my views and it is not necessary that everyone should accept them. What do you say? What are the acceptable and non acceptable ways of placing links according to you.

Discussion will be updated with new suuggestions.

Replies 1 to 6 of 6 Ascending
Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I think this spamming thing is blown a bit out of proportion by us only. Frankly speaking, whatever time I have spent here in IB, i have not seen many newbies do that and when they do its purely unintentional. When told about the same, they even graciously accept their faults and are willingly ready to change for the better. A lot of credit for this actually goes to the Indipolice who does a fabulous job of keeping this forum clean and helps members like us to enjoy it to the fullest :)

As far as the case of smart spammers are concerned who do it intentionally or repeatedly, its best to report the issue to Indipolice rather than taking matters in your hands as that could sometimes lead to further complications and needless arguments.

SubhashChy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

:) ha ha. whom would you called "Smart spammer"

is that a spam if some one asks for "How to move their self hosted blog to another host" and i direct him to a detailed artilce on my blog.

nice discussion going on. enjoyed reading all of the comments. just wanted to add a bit humor in this. I am just  a newbie so scold me if did any mistake.

Priya
Priya
from Mumbai
13 years ago

@ RAJ: ha ha...look how colorful your post becomes once you start adding links?!! lol

R-A-J
R-A-J
from Bangalore
13 years ago

I find it ridiculous that some people stoop down to the level that they write on forums purely so that they can link every word of their comments to their pathetic blog.

How can people be so shameless!!!

Priya
Priya
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I agree with DS on the newbie part.

DS
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Thanks Priya, I agreed with what you said too.
DS
DS
from Mumbai
13 years ago
When a person is a newbie he is explained calmly but when he refuses to listen what can we do? And he still continues with the spamming!! A newbie should say sorry and not repeat mistakes when veterans guide him. I should also mention that you are a very shrewd spammer, I have noticed you write 'my blog' and quietly give link on it!!!! Nice topic, expect lots of replies :)
Ranjith
from hyderabad
13 years ago

Sorry for saying but you need to learn to talk politely and stop shouting at others in a rude way. I was asking your opinion on the topic and not your opinion about me.

Just refer to your reply in the thread here  Hehe some people just cant stop spamming!!  Read the replies posted just above and below your comment and notice the difference. 

And, when I write my blog, do you expect me to link to your blog instead of mine?

For your reference, here is a complete list of the forum threads where I have placed my links: here here here here here here ... and many more. Many here (not necessaily everyone) are for the purpose of promoting their blog and so am I.

Anyone here is free to ban me from the forum after deleting all of my threads and replies. IndiBlogger isn't the only source on which I am dependent. Even if I am not allowed to promote my blog anywhere on the net, I would not feel sad because there are a few (real friends in my real life) who are always ready to read what I write. Blogging isn't my life and I wouldn't feel sad if it has to bid a good bye to me. There are other things that can keep me moving.

Sorry if I have hurt you unknowingly.

- Ranjith

DS
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Hey Ranjith did you not notice the smiley at the end! I really did not get hurt too, and it would be a loss to the forum to lose you! I know I need to brush up my talking skills... The comment on you was meant to be a light hearted talk:) Sorry if you felt bad.
Ranjith
from hyderabad
13 years ago

It's alright. I thought that the smiley was meant for the last sentence only. Sorry on my part too.

Have a good time on the forum. Smile

Ranjith
from hyderabad
13 years ago

I too need to take things lightly. :-)

DS
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Phew! Thanks Ranjith:) All is well that ends well.
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Good to see you people joining hands... I was just about to dial 100 Innocent

DS
from Mumbai
13 years ago
LOL @ Arti
Priya
Priya
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Dropping links is called as spamming, that too when every other word in your post is a link, it is spam, this is what people into social media and online marketing, including myself, name it as. Coming to the point, no one accuses a person of being a spammer. Every one should be given a chance and that is what happened , iguess, on indiblogger too. But then yelling at the indipolice and acting smart when you are a newbie here, doesnt look too good. there are forums which directly ban people who drop links. Atleast indiblogger isnt doing that! So people should accept their ignorance and respect the forum rules.

Again, this is totally my opinion.

LockSign in to reply to this thread