emai hijack help

some one is mailng my contacts from my  email id. he even mailed me which i received in junk mail.  what steps should I take.  I am at a loss. i ve pasted the mail i received form my i.d.   EuroSoftware To pramodlohia@hotmail.com From: EuroSoftware (pramodlohia@hotmail.com)  Sent: 17 January 2011 02:28AM To: pramodlohia@hotmail.com  Microsoft SmartScreen has blocked this message for your safety and we'll delete it after ten days. 

Replies 1 to 3 of 3 Ascending
Guha Rajan
Guha Rajan
from Chennai
13 years ago

To make it very sure & secure, if you are still able to access your mail account, change your password.

thanks guha, I changed it already , but as renie has stated   ,its spoofing.  

GeEtS
GeEtS
from delhi
13 years ago

Frown

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
13 years ago

Hey Pramod, in all likelihood your email address ended up as part of a "joke forward list" belonging to one of your contacts... then this list would have become public, on someplace like yahoo groups where a spambot would have picked them all up, knowing that there is a decent chance of the people in that list knowing  each other.

The spammers are not actually using your account, and they don't have access to your inbox - they are simply pretending to be you, this is called spoofing, which you have no control over... Frown

More info here: http://ask-leo.com/why_am_i_getting_spam_from_myself.html

Thanx a lot, Renie, I am a little relieved.

this is very misleading at times. and fraudsters claim that I bought an i phone 4 from their site and am suggesting my friends also. my friend who got this mail, mailed me to confirm. then I came to know of it.

Anyone can get cheated this way.

anyway thanks again. 

LockSign in to reply to this thread