Is it good to use domain name with blogspot hosting platform

sm
sm
from india
15 years ago

once our blog has regular platform we start to think of getting domain name , blogger allowes us to use our personal domain name with blogspot hosting as its free , it looks good.

so quesiton is if blog is popular and suddenly you change to domain name using blogspot as its free

how it will affect the blog popularity,traffic  or is it one has to start from scratch again ,

eg. if blog name is   xyz.blogspot .com now  the xyz has purchased domain name what he should do ?  

1-20
21-34
Replies 1 to 20 of 34 Descending
sm
sm
from india
15 years ago

does anyone know how it will effect domain and subdomain, as yahoo offeres subdomain also.

which domain sellers are good and trust worthy,

i know only  go daddy  so suggest more names.

suggest any book to know all about this domain stuff,

ty anwin,  will be glad if you answer and help me more.

Adesh Sidhu
Adesh Sidhu
from Gurgaon
15 years ago

You can also try oneindia.in for buying domain name. Their service is good and pricing is also competitive.

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
15 years ago

Domains come cheap and there are many registrars available. ZDnet, Unitechost, Net4, Softcell, etc... there are a lot more...

Yes, having your own domain does help at times. Techincally, when you are hosted at a sub domain, PR of the main domain is important. So, blogger may have a good PR, but the fact that you have too many sub domains on blogger plays down and your search visibility depends on Keywords and other optimization you can do. Link back from good PR websites always help and you dont have any limitations, your sub domain gets the PR and adds more importance to your main domain.

Having your own domain gives your blog an identity. Another factor is domain extension. For example, my website is www.hemalshah.net and if you search hemal shah on Google, you will find my link on 3 or 4th. However, there is a domain which is hemalshah.com and it gains importance because it is a dot com domain as opposed to dot net domain I have. When I gain a page rank over his website then I would be able to move above a .com domain. If we both have same PR, .com domain will supersede a .net domain.

So, choosing a domain extension is as important as choosing your domain name. If you have an option of dot com, go for dot com domain. This is because a majority of Fan sites or similar named firms do not get a dot com domain since it is booked by the individual / firm already. 

The regional domains like .in, .ru, .us, .uk etc are optimized for country searches. In Google, you have an option to search for pages in India. This is where your domain gains advantage if you have a .in domain.

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
15 years ago

Here is a comparison report on why a .com extention is important over .net

This report is taken from website grader. You can check the a report here. And the google search results for query for keyword hemal shah.

SiteWebsite GradeGoogle Page RankGoogle Indexed PagesTraffic RankBlog RankInbound Linksdel.icio.us Bookmarks www.hemalshah.com 18 0 24 Not Ranked Not Ranked 6 0 www.hemalshah.net 59 0 37 2,353,835 Not Ranked 485 1

After seeing this example, you might be able to understand the difference of having total link backs, keywords and ranks in Alexa which does not totally affect the rank of listing of a website in search result. Even after having 454 link backs, Alexa Ranked, more pages are google indexed from my website, still I am ranked 3rd on Google search.

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
15 years ago

Here is a comparison report on why a .com extention is important over .net

This report is taken from website grader. You can check the a report here. And the google search results for query for keyword hemal shah.

Site Website Grade Google Page Rank Google Indexed Pages Traffic Rank Blog Rank Inbound Links del.icio.us Bookmarks www.hemalshah.com 18 0 24 Not Ranked Not Ranked 6 0 www.hemalshah.net 59 0 37 2,353,835 Not Ranked 485 1

After seeing this example, you might be able to understand the difference of having total link backs, keywords and ranks in Alexa which does not totally affect the rank of listing of a website in search result. Even after having 454 link backs, Alexa Ranked, more pages are google indexed from my website, still I am ranked 3rd on Google search.

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
15 years ago

I am not able to copy paste tables... i am sorry, did not knew can can't do it here!!!

sm
sm
from india
15 years ago

ty adesh and hemal reading your advice and checking sites.

hemal i have decided to go with  com or in, or info or ca

i am sure i will get com or in. so now this problem is solved.

so have to fix the agent from whom to purchase the domain name.

what is your opionion about yahoo offer of 2000 rupees with domain and unlimited space with subdomain. for 1 year.

but i think once we have our own domain name we can shift to any hosting system in future keeping our fans, visitiors.

Bishwajeet Mahato
Bishwajeet Mahato
from Jamshedpur
15 years ago

According to me you should shift to wordpress and buy a hosting .Some are very cheap

Just seach according to your needs

sm
sm
from india
15 years ago

ty bishwajeet,  may i  know reason why yu suggest wordpress

Shakthidharan
from Bangalore
15 years ago

Sm , Wordpress with a custom domain is totally flexible and I have been using it for around 3 years now with great ease and flexibility. Wordpress is far more powerful than blogger and can be used also as a CMS if you want .

My blog http://shakthidharan.net is wordpress and self hosted

Bishwajeet Mahato
from Jamshedpur
15 years ago

Wordpress is really cool and you can use hell lot of plugins which will make your site superb plus there are very good themes available for wordpress

Sachin Jain
Sachin Jain
from Bangalore
15 years ago

Hi sm...I am using bloggers platform and my own personal domain name for my blog http://www.jokecricket.com/. I bought the domain name for approx Rs. 350 (from bagfull.net) . They have many options and service is also very good. So my total spending is only Rs. 350. You can also try this.

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
15 years ago

Sachin, can you share the process for people who wants to do the same? If you can give exact steps, ala Tutorial for Blogger's Own Domain.

sm
sm
from india
15 years ago

ty sachin

Tiger
Tiger
from Bangalore
15 years ago

Even I wanted to know about the Yahoo 2k offer... Will there be a problem if I chosse to move away from Yahoo in the future? Do any one of you know about the service?

I am planning to take this up in a weeks time, so please let me know.

THe ourpose of my own domain is not for my blog but for a proper portal.

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
15 years ago

I have had a small interaction with Yahoo for one of my clients on Domain transfer and I must tell you, it was very smooth.

I mean, when you tell your domain registrar that you want your domain to be transfered to some other vendor, they will in all probability try their level best to avoid that honestly and dishonestly at times going to the levels of non communication.

Yahoo had reacted positively, though they had requested a feedback if we were not satisfied.

sm
sm
from india
15 years ago

yahoo 2000 rupess praposal looks attractive ,but i have not decided it yet.

i will be tranferring my full blog to my domain as my blog is more than 90% orginal

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
15 years ago

Can someone post hosting details like space and bandwidth limit of Yahoo 2k offer.

That would help us to find out whether it is a good deal.

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
15 years ago

This is awesome! Unlimited Bandwidth and Unlimited Diskspace. Wow. I could not find information on the Server Operating system. I would like Linux personally, but would not mind Windows. 

Yahoo's servers are run on an derivative of Free-BSD. 

More clarity awaited! Let's see what I can find out more... What type of support is available, and whether we get a Scripts Installer similar to Fantastico is to be seen. 

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
15 years ago

@Shakthidharan: Can you tell the forum what does it costs, and how did you went about it. Does not matter if the current system is a bit different, share your experience.

Shakthidharan
from Bangalore
15 years ago

Sure !! The domain itself is Rs 425 a year and I have I Gb space . both together fort 4 years have cost me roughly 3200 ruppees . I am a registered domain reseller and have my own server to host my domains . A facility that i will gladly extend to any of my fellow indibloggers

sm
sm
from india
15 years ago

yes ty .

i am reading it all ty for sharing knowledge.

when blogspot is giving you free space  is it worth to pay yahoo for hosting.

sm
sm
from india
15 years ago

i wanted to know ask

when someone is purchaseing domain name from reseller which precautions he must take

which things he must checkup with reseller, which things he must get from reseller?

example is receipt of money paid. like this which things are important so in future domain name stays with the owner.

precautions so one is not cheated while purchaseing domain name ?

i will be purchasing domain name by paying cash

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
15 years ago

The list of Precautions:

1. A famous name.
  2. Check the number of domains registered by the registrar at http://www.webhosting.info/registrars/
  3. ICANN Registered Reseller
  4. You will not get much for a Domain.
  5. Remember to make sure the ownership remains with you
  6. Preferably, register for more than 3 years. You may get discounts, but more inportantly, this will help you on Google Search Rankings.

Information provided here are awesome...

Thanks for sharing Guys....

1-20
21-34
LockSign in to reply to this thread