Do you put a colon in the title of your blog post?

Vyasamoorthy
Vyasamoorthy
from Hyderabad
14 years ago

Examine the title of your post as a blogger. Does it contain a colon (:) ? Then you are supposed to be a scholarly, highly academic or research oriented writer.

"Dillon Hypothesis of Titular Colonicity"  says articles containing a colon in the title tend to be scholarly in content.

Can anyone interested read up a little and discuss with others as we can benefit by this finding?

Replies 1 to 9 of 9 Ascending
Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

So many of my article titles have colon used in them. Just open up April archives of 2012 and almost 4 of the 5 articles that I posted have a colon in the title! haha, that calls for a -- Yay! Laughing

indu chhibber
indu chhibber
from Kota
12 years ago

I doubt if this could have any bearing on the content of the post.

Micky Fernandez
Micky Fernandez
from Kolkata
12 years ago

The answer: no. 

Addy
Addy
from Mumbai
14 years ago

I did that in 3 or 4 of my blog post, not all.....does that count?

or I'm only a fraction "scholarly, highly academic or research oriented writer"????

Vyasamoorthy
Vyasamoorthy
from Hyderabad
14 years ago

Chandrika Shubham and Venu Vedam: My post refers to individual Blog post titles and not to the title of the blog per-se. Each blog post (article / story) varies in depth, content, target audience and purpose. Here the careful use of colon counts and helps. One just can't use colon flippantly and claim scholarship. That would amount to cheating or ignorance. 

Venu Vedam
Venu Vedam
from Hyderabad
14 years ago

So I have a very unscholarly  title: (sic) Chaotic Encounters 

Probably I should rename it Chaos: An Exotic Encounter!

Chandrika Shubham
Chandrika Shubham
from Gurugram
14 years ago

The title of my blog is 'Chandrika Shubham : A reserved chit-chatter'.

:)

Vineet Rajan
Vineet Rajan
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Hehe. Interesting. Till some time back I used two colons! Not one! LOL

Vyasamoorthy
from Hyderabad
14 years ago

Use of two colons has no special meaning.

I have also read (and agree with it) that blog post titles starting with a number get better readership? Do you also agree?

Example: 10 tips to seduce older women; 4 favorable positions in foreplay etc  

Giri Vijayakumar
Giri Vijayakumar
from Chennai
14 years ago

Ha ha... My blog is titled "Storywheel: the short story blog"...

Titular Colonicity... you are kidding, right?

Vyasamoorthy
from Hyderabad
14 years ago

http://www.jstor.org/pss/1310130

No I am not kidding.  Go to the link above to see an example of a research work done to support the hypothesis mentioned. Dillon enunciated this hypothesis in 1981.

Arif
from Mumbai
14 years ago

@Vyasmoorthy - That's a good insight you've found there. Personally, I've never used a colon in my post titles as from my perspective you should use them when you have some finer insight. But then, there's no rule which stops you from using one too. I would suggest, try a post and see the visitor's reactions - whether there's any difference in count and comments?

BTW, check out the visual of Ranbir jumping from the Bandra Worli Sea Link shouting WOW WOW WOW and gulping down a can of Pepsi! Do write your comment/feedback at: http://www.maktion.com/2010/04/youngistaan-ka-wow.html

LockSign in to reply to this thread