Paras would like you to review his/her blog.
[ http://techpctricks.com ]

Looking for feedback on my Technology blog

Paras
Paras
from Mumbai
9 years ago

TECH PC TRICKS (shortly known as TPT) is a technology blog aimed at giving solutions to different daily computer problems making the tech life easier than ever before.

This site offers some unique Tricks, Tips, How-to guides and review over Gadgets.

Replies 1 to 2 of 2
The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
9 years ago

From one PC guy to another...

http://techpctricks.com/cpu-overclocking/

#1. If a processor has a base clock of 2.4GHz but down clocks to 2.2GHz, it's because the CPU has a function to lower the clock speed for voltage reduction and keeping the CPU cool (Intel has EIST C3 state support, C6/C7 state support and CPU thermal monitor (unless you don't mind thermal throttling which will be a good idea considering you posted a picture of an Intel stock CPU heatsink), so does AMD with Quiet n Cool. There's something called Turbo boost, but that's another part of the story. The important point is that the processors you get for a long time have Turbo boost- and that's the 'locked' maximum limit. Turbo boost frequency is mentioned by the processor manufacturers as well. 

With a locked processor, you "can" still play around with CPU ratio and base clock but without any fine tuning. Unlocking lets you do a lot of fine tuning. 

#2. It's not THAT dangerous unless one goes insane with VCORE and other voltage settings. Typically, CPU thermal monitor throttles the CPU clock speed down to its base clock once it crosses a certain temperature threshold. During stress testing and if something isn't right, the system will restart and some motherboards will either automatically take you back to BIOS or prompt you to go to BIOS or reset BIOS clock settings. You can use an overclocking utility from the respected motherboard manufacturer and Intel XTU (for intel processor) as well, again another part of the story. Things changed significantly since the time when CPU, a GPU and motherboard maintain an 'official' distance, though motherboard and graphic card manufacturers manage to slip in better quality components and power delivery for (you guessed it) overclocking.  

#3. Different processor, different architecture. different overclocking potential. Different BIOS settings. Writing a 'how to overclock in BIOS' general guide isn't  a good idea. What is a good idea? Is this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4855/2/workshop-how-to-overclock-haswell-processors-base-clock-en-multipliers

http://techreport.com/review/24889/haswell-overclocked-the-core-i7-4770k-at-4-7ghz

The heat output will be different depending on the number of cores, architecture, amount of clock speed, voltage, active cooling, the potential of the chip, stability, etc. 

#4. A couple of parts (below the question "What is overclocking?" is 'inspired' from Wikipedia from there, and you followed it up. That's what happens when you rely on an already available source to make such write-ups. It is not based on your experience. It is not based on your observations. It's also most likely not updated to the times. That's what happens when you recycle content. It's ethically wrong. You're passing on outdated content as if it's new. 

#5. AMD overdrive links to 404 error page. I know you're a 16-year-old guy, and that's cool. But you should not write an article like that with outdated information. You have to do hands-on research on your own and do a write-up in a way that people even with the least skill set can be inspired to do overclocking. If you don't have the right resources to do a research like that, don't do it at all.

Make guides and articles on something that you already know. People who know what is what will have a bad impression on you, and people who don't know may end up doing something they shouldn't. You have to be responsible when making stuff like this. It hurts me a lot, especially from someone who has been in many Indian tech forums like Digit, tech enclave and even dead forums like CHIP, Tech2, tech tree correcting people of their misinformation because they read it in some random site. The worst part is people even spent their hard earned money based on articles using outdated data and re-writing content based on a much older content.

It pains me to see all this. Because this isn't the first desktop PC based article that did something like this (though to be fair, the former one was a complete rip-off and that crazy was in such a denial by throwing colourful words at me- which pretty much shows where they came from). 

If you really want to do this, be in forums. learn from forums. learn from people's conversations. Go for meets. learn from people. Get knowledge on how things should be really done. One thing leads to another and I am sure you can do a much better job than re-writing content based on outdated crap from Wikipedia. 

Oh, btw- "So, did you Overclock your CPU?" and not 'overclocked'. 

Paras
Paras
from Mumbai
9 years ago

I got your point. Actually, it was written by one of the people (guest post), and seriously, I don't know how it went unnoticed! I'm really very grateful to you.

Well, can you review it once more please?