What to do with page visits from undesirable websites?

Jayashree
Jayashree
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Hi

I've been blogging since the last 3 years.

Of late, my blog (http://www.moodymusings95.blogspot.in/) has gained slightly higher number of visitors. While I'm happy about this, I've also noticed that I'm having page visits from undesirable sites with questionable obscene content.

When I visited the website, there was no link leading to my blog. What's happening? :(

Since my blog is personal/ literary, I'd be really grateful if I'm told how I can block visitors from this site. 

Thank you so much! :D

Replies 1 to 6 of 6 Ascending
Anunoy Samanta
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
11 years ago

Cheers for rajni B-)

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Are you a fan of Rajnikanth? InnocentTongue out

Aditya Dey
Aditya Dey
from Kolkata
11 years ago

A visit is a visit nevertheless.....why bother....????? relax and be happy, and if possible remove the link from the thread...... :-P

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Aditya, Do you want some of those free visits? I'll google and arrange them for you. Tongue out

Anunoy Samanta
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
11 years ago

i never knew Roorkee kids are that smart ;-)

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

I am a Hyderabadi! Smile

Even after staying in Roorkee for two years, I still feel uncomfortable when I have to speak in Hindi in the rarest of the rare situations!

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
11 years ago

I was talking of IIT Roorkee kids :-)

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
11 years ago

Yes recently i got acquainted to a Hyderabadi banker i like the way he spoke Hindi ;-)

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Smile

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

These visits are what are known as fake referral traffic. When a person goes from page A to page B, page B receives information that it was visited via page A. Page A gets logged in your Blogger Stats as a referral. Now, everyone knows that people check their stats and visit the referral sites to know more about the page/link that is giving them hits.

Now, spammers come into the picture. There are methods ( browser extensions and many other things ) by which you can change the referral site. For example, you can visit page B by simply typing the URL or by clicking a link from page C but still tell page B that it was visited via page A though it is not true. Now, you see page A as a referral in your stats, you visit that site and site B gets page hits. The spammer wins.

Now, for the spammer does not want to simply type all the URL or even click them. So, he writes scripts/programs which will load random pages once the script starts executing. All that the spammer does it click a 'Run Script' button but he gains a lot of page views from different bloggers.

Next, that spammer wants to know which blogger is clicking the link in their stats and visiting his page. So, he adds some parameters to the end of the referral URL like www.someSpamSite.com?s=XXXX. The XXXX will be different for each of the target blogger. So, if the spammer sees an XXXX in his stats, he that that the blogger who owns page B has visited that site. That spammer tells to his friends about page B and they do start sending fake referral traffic to that site. So, don't click on such suspicious links. Your blogger stats will become even more spammy.

Now, what can you do -

• Don't click on such links
  • Stop using Blogger Stats
  • Use Google Analytics. I think GA does not record these fake referrals - I see such fake referrals in my Blogger stats but not GA stats.

Note : There might be some technical errors in what I have described but more or less, what I have said is correct. Smile

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
11 years ago

ahh... yes indeed they want to spam, and tey have so many ways Frown

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Frown

Jayashree
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation! :)

Yes, I suppose I'll let sleeping dogs lie and ignore these page visits.

Thanks to everybody who helped with their suggestions! :D

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Smile

Anunoy Samanta
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
11 years ago

What is your problem with their innocent visits.... They are not harming you anyway right... Why are you so keen to block them? :-)

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

It's like receiving the first prize in an IndiContest in which you have not participated! Frown

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
11 years ago

Or like receiving those millions in your email inbox :-D

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

I keep reciving such spam messages offering me millions of dollars. 

I have responded to the first one or two messages I received some years and also sent a lot of follow up mails to which they replied. Finally, I realised that it was all a trap. Luckily, I didn't lose anything except time. Frown

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Dont visit the links, that way you are inviting more of them.  LEAVE them alone and after some time they will disappear. I have written an article here about them read it if you like.

They will in no way harm your site in anywhich way except if you click on them they keep on visiting you.  And nobody knows they are visiting you expect yourself so dont worry

LockSign in to reply to this thread