Would you think Mahabharat really happened?

Ritu Sinha
Ritu Sinha
from Ghaziabad
12 years ago

The reason for above statement is that given the complexity of this topic, Was this possible for a human being to create this epic?

My favourite topic is this and wanted to know whether it is really myth or fact? Your VIEWS PLEASE.

Edited 12 years ago
Reason:
Replies 1 to 10 of 10 Ascending
Ritu Sinha
Ritu Sinha
from Ghaziabad
10 years ago

nice to comeback and read the observations here. The current TV serial is already showing some events which are different to what we knew. Perhaps, this is how a story evolves. As we already see in 20 years of time that few things have changed, would it be not possible that actual story was very short and additions made them such a huge and complex epic.

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

Totally possible!

C. Suresh
C. Suresh
from Bangalore
12 years ago

@TF: For a Kshatriya of yore, the most heinous fault is to attack or kill an enemy who is not in a position to fight back - such an act branded him a coward. That is reputed to have happened in the case of Bhishma, Drona and Karna. In a further case, Arjuna is reputed to have killed Bhurisravas, who was engaged in battle with Satyaki and did not even consider the possibility of Arjuna attacking him. Further, post the war, Arjuna is unable to safeguard the womenfolk of Dwarka from the attack of dacoits after the death of Balram and Krishna. The worst negative is the one of Yudhishtir staking Draupadi in a game of dice - something that everyone considered as shameful! I'd say that if you were to consider the Mahabharat as history written by victors these were the first things that would have been glossed over.

@CA: It is easier by far to write a fake history where the victors do nothing questionable than to first have them do something questionable and then justify them.

I prefer to see the tale as a series of lessons in morality and, to me, it is utterly irrelevant as to whether the incidents happened at all or happened the way it is written in the epic.

C. Suresh
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Correction: Arjuna cut off Bhurisravas' hand - did not kill. Satyaki beheaded him later.

Jaidev Jamwal
from New Delhi
12 years ago

C Suresh

For a Kshatriya of yore, the most heinous fault is to attack or kill an enemy who is not in a position to fight back  

True, but it's reserved for honourable people who deserve it.  Karn inspite of his persumed righeousness plotted with kauravs in numerous despicable attempts to kill, Humiliate Pandavs. The major one was killing of Abhimanyu. His numerous below the belt actions led Arjun to kill him while he was trying to get his chariot back on track.

C. Suresh
from Bangalore
12 years ago

@Jaidev: We seem to be talking here at cross-purposes! Seems to me like you think I am trying to point out faults in the Pandavas and you are taking up the cudgels to justify them. My point is restricted to saying that if the Mahabharat is seen as being written by the victors to suit themselves then they would not have let their questionable actions have a place in such a fake history. Period. I am not exploring the rights and wrongs of the acts of the Pandavas nor do i intend to enter any such debate!

Jaidev Jamwal
from New Delhi
12 years ago

umm, not exactly. am not justifying anything. just typing out another example in addition to your point

C. Suresh
from Bangalore
12 years ago

@Jaidev: My mistake, then! Since I had already mentioned Karna and you elaborated the reasons why he deserved to be killed while trying to get his chariot functional I assumed that you had mistaken the reasons for what I was saying.

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I am not saying about Mahabharata in pariticular. But in general if I were a victor, I would write a history that appears impartial. I would ensure my smaller flaws are pointed out and only my most serious flaws are hidden so that the reader in future gets an idea that this is a very imparital history and I was really a great guy with small faults.

Jaidev Jamwal
from New Delhi
12 years ago

Then please point out flaws in Mohammed's and Chrit's history

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I am talking about history of men. When devoted fanatics write myths about Gods, the rule does not hold good. Because flaws are for humans not Gods and their chosen ones.

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

TF, situations change when you are involved in such wars. We can say this because we are away from it. But the feeling of a  victor and knowing the impact it has on generations, its not possible for a human to be impartial.

Next, these books are not written by people (who're involved) themselves but by their followers etc. And this is where comes the element of biasedness.

Shalu Sharma
Shalu Sharma
from Patna, Delhi
12 years ago

Yes it did happen but only in the minds of the most creative of yogis. The best story ever told.

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
12 years ago

"Mahabharata" is the best book(we talk about art. Not religion) ever written in the world. All credits goes to Vyasa. There would have happened something in real also but it is his work. Vyasa the Great!

Abhsihek Boinapalli
Abhsihek Boinapalli
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

I don't think mahabharat is true ...

As per me its just old folk-lore ..so old that we call it epic .. 

Have we ever got proofs about the kingdoms, the palaces, the demons and gods as portrayed in the mahabharath?? And all i know is, for the next 1000 years or so, everyone in India will keep hearing about Mahabharat for sure .. 

In my view, this really happened. But this tale, has been re-told, generation by generation, verbally. And so as it was re-told, the accuracy was lost, and to make the story more interesting, it was modified, into somewhat more fancy.. Just like a fancy fairy tail, with a few unrealistic things.

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

@Ritvik - What makes you give emphasis on Verbally? I don't mean to follow Mahabharat blindly, but I mean not to follow anything blindly. 

I am currently referring edition of Mahabharata published by Geetapress, Gorakhpur, with Sanskrit and Hindi Translation. Hindi translation is more impoartant to study Indian spirituality because English does not have many concepts which are in Indian spirituality. The so called verbally spread tale is divided in six parts, in which every part is almost of 2000 pages. The person who has written done this work is Sahityacharya Pandit Ramnarayandatta Shastri Pandey, 'Ram'. From some months I have suspended the reading because, the spiritual concepts are beyond my grasping level. 

I tried to imagine the people who were spreding verbally such high level Sanskrit, must be great Scholers. But it's true, such stories are found in Adi Shakaracharya's biography, where most ordinary women used to talk with each other in Sanskrit and used to discuss Brahman, Gyana, Moksha and used to debate in Sanskrit.

Also, we can't ever say science is perfect, because before something new is invented, it is supposed as superition or never existed in the world. 

You're an eye opener. As I said, This is what I think, which might be completely wrong. Thank you for correcting me!

This is surely something more big than I had thought.

Mohini Puranik
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

Most of our thoughts are imported or forced to import from west. They have denied what they did not know. For all the questions related to our culutre, please check the work of Rajiv Malhotraji. I feel him the real intellectual warrior, who is non stop fighting against the digestion of our culture. 

Also, if possible try to visit places which are described in Purana, Mahabharata, Ramayana and try to find archiological proofs. Practically, it's very difficult but if you find some archiological resemblance, you will understand rest of the things as true or false. Fortunately, I could find some old archiological mysteries near jungles and tribal area here, from that time I believe on our scriptures more. Unfortunatetly, I can't devote much time to this now.

Second proof : This is written by Veer Savakarji in book Hindutva. The logic is the dynesty of kings given in many puranas and in Mahabharata or Ramayana is same. Surya Vansha, Chandra Vansha, Yadavas, Paurava, Kaurava, and many more. Nobody can write such long sequence in many different epics, which is same everywhere. 

Second question : // Was this possible to write for a human being to create this topic? //

Yes it's possible. The Indian Sages have Ritambhara Pragya which is awakened by Tapasya. 

Jaidev Jamwal
from New Delhi
12 years ago

Breaking India by Rajiv Malhotra and Tatya Tope's Operation Red Lotus by Parag Tope are a must read for everyone

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

Being Different is also launched, it's very important and debates of Rajiv Malhotraji with communists are available online, alos his debates are available in videos too. The impact on text books is by communist authors, which is openly Anti Hindu.

Bangali Baba aka VSB
from Delhi
12 years ago

Communists aren't anti-hindu. They are atheists. They don't believe in Bible or Koran either.

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I am sorry to say this VSB, but Indian communists (so called) are! They lack the basic characteristics of communism

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

@VSB - To avoid any confusion I used the word 'OPENLY' anti Hindu for communist Authors, we can refer books and find the truth about their hatred towards Hindus and Sikhs.

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I leave captain awesome to answer this. He is an expert on such topics. In fact he is writing a book on Ramayana on similar lines

Pooja Pradeep
Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

You are not supposed to give blog links or post your blog posts here in forums. It'll be called as Shameless Self Promotion and the thread will be deleted.

Please use Indivine for all such promotions.

Forum is a place for networking and not promoting.

Please don't repeat this again.

Thank you,

Pooja.

Yatin Khurana
from delhi
12 years ago
^fail
Bangali Baba aka VSB
from Delhi
12 years ago
umm...wheres te blog link?
Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Yatin Khurana Its not fail. Can you see that the TOPIC HAS BEEN EDITED?

The link was given, thats why I put it up ok?

Very Serious Black She edited it out after my post.

Yatin Khurana
from delhi
12 years ago
not after your post but after your comment ........... epic fail now
Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Dude, move out of FB and get a LIFE.

And stop tring to be perfect. I'm just making sure new people know the rules. If you have a problem with my method you can contact the IndiTeam.

MOREOVER, its not comment. You comment in FB but not here. And even if it is, I'll call it POST only. Now stop bugging.

Yatin Khurana
from delhi
12 years ago
no ones trying to be perfect // and I too was observed lately doing the noble job of making sure new people know the rules //// and since she removed that link it was success rather than a fail /// and there is only one post here rest counter posts or sub posts or something but not posts ///// and whatever your rebuttal of letting us know it wasn't a fail was not required // there is where the bugging started
Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

It actually started when you stated it as FAILYell. Cause as you said it was a SUCCESS in letting her know that she isn't supposed to give links. Got it?Yell

Yatin Khurana
from delhi
12 years ago
but then I didn't knew a link was given so said so....... you see even Black was led there ...... later it came under bugging but earlier it wasn't when posted.......but yes fine ..... let's cut it here
Bangali Baba aka VSB
from Delhi
12 years ago

thaanda thaako. thaanda. :)

Senoraroy
from Meerut
12 years ago

So many things have been written already and the last ome is really remarkable!! I think it happened ofcourse! Not a fantasy or something it can be. As far as being biased or so is concerned i must say that even if two ppl go to watch a movie and aslked the story, they'll tell with different aspects and views. Similarly, the one who wrote it had a view to assess and think. We can exaggerate some of the things but we can not absolutely form!!

LockSign in to reply to this thread