Which digital camera is value for money ?

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Prices of digital camera has been falling constantly.  I believe one of the prime reason is that cell phones too are providing good cameras and the primary manufacturers are forced to drop prices, DSLR cameras see lesser demand, with only professionals going for it.  We are now spoilt with choices in plenty Cannon XIUS series, Nikon Coolpix and projector camera, Sony super zoom series, and many more cameras.  In case i want to go for upgrade which camera is ideal, i am not for DSLR.  Pl suggest

Replies 1 to 2 of 2 Ascending
Arvind Passey
Arvind Passey
from Delhi
12 years ago

Personally, I'd prefer a Nikon D5100... but Nikon Coolpix P500 is my choice in case I don't want to go for a DSLR.

Nikon Coolpix P500 - Rs. 20322

• 12.1 Megapixels
  • Optical Zoom: 36x
  • BSI-CMOS Image Sensor
  • with 3.0 inch LCD

http://www.flipkart.com/cameras/nikon/itmcwapd63tms4hj?pid=camcwapd63tms4hj&_l=TMExokv4xddZgfMdXouomQ--&_r=Mwh0E0q2pXwriyoRGpUhgA--&ref=ef930779-6516-4e48-a736-daaca4795d9c

Free Philips GoGear Mix 2 GB MP3 Player (Black) worth Rs.1450+ 4 GB SD Card+Camera Pouch

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

This camera is in my list Mr Arvind Passey, however warranty offered seems to be confusing on flipkart.  Secondly after sales service centres are lesser than Sony and Sweep Panaroma feature is not available. No clarity on software whether trial version or full version.  I was once taken for a ride with a trial version offered by another reputed company.Smile  

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Usually little importance is given for bundled softwares. Even if its not trial, its obvious its going to be limited. Might turn out to be a resource hog if not coded properly. I use open source software (windows support) GIMP 2 and use Picasa's tools as well. Takes care of your thing there itself. 

People who buy Sony cameras are deemed as people who bought sony because of carl zeiss and the mindset of being the best consumer, and also who believe in dragons and fairtales (lame story a friend said).

Don't fall for the Megapixel trap :P. A friend has a old DSLR but she takes brilliant photos with it on studios and in the open.

Truth be told, I never heard of service support for Flipkart. I hope I don't have to send it back to Flipkart rather than to go to the service centre and get it done.

I've suggested FZ28 to someone couple of years ago and he's satisfied with it. FZ35 from lumix has made that same impression. So far, Panasonic Prosumer series are pretty good for what its worth, better than Sony if you have spent time with it. I think the last best Prosumer from sony was I think the H50, but that couple of years ago I guess. I'll stick to FZ35 if I were you.

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Thanks Soc for an elaborate reply Smile This time around i don t wanna to rush into buying a particular brand, plus there is a solid indication prices of Digital cameras are bound to drop another 20 to 25% according to market trends. Let me wait for it to happen.   

The only negative feature of a Sony Camera is that one gets fleeced on purchase of memory card, batteries and other accessories.  But their service is impeccable for 3 years what i have experienced.  3 major repairs were undertaken by them.  Even now the H3 is functioning pretty well.  But i am looking at alternatives liesurely.  Battery life is dwindling though and memory card has been changed though.

Well i keep Lumix FZ35 in mind while taking a decision.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
12 years ago

FZ40 or FZ30. Not to FZ100. I think there's Powershot SX150 IS as well. Like you said, service track record for panasonic is unknown.

But the most important question: How much moolah are you planning to spend? If its 25k or something, I would aim for DSLR. aim for something like Canon 1100D + Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens. Finish it off!! There are lot of people I know you use 350D DSLR who earlier planned for a prosumer camera ages ago so that the change will be welcoming and at the same time give a lot of stuff to work at. 

I am not saying don't aim for DSLR, but don't shove it aside either. Cheaper ones are primarily aimed for those who are moving away from prosumer cameras. DSLRs are being used for making great movies. I shit you not but there are lot of people who make movies and documentaries with DSLRs costing between 25-30k body only.

Chaitanya Kulkarni
Chaitanya Kulkarni
from Mumbai
12 years ago

have a semi-DSLR around 13k Nikon, use it for product shoot for my ecommerce website. Does a very good job.

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion Chaitanya, how about SONY DSC HX100V, quoting at 23 k approx with 30 optical zoom and 16 megapixelSmile

Mayur
from goa
12 years ago
@umesh Sir i just read and saw the reviews of SONY DSC HX100V and i have to say that it is one of the best bridge cameras with awesome features. The feature which instantly got me interested in it is the 30X zoom. You should see the zoom test videos on youtube you can actually see the craters and water pathways on the moon. The video quality is also awesome.
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Thanks Mayur for your input on Sony DSC HX100 V, apart from 30 O Zoom and 16 MP, the company offers 3 years warranty on the product which is a big plus point.  My existing camera was repaired virtually free of cost 3 times in 3 years, even now it s performance is good, only accessories is expensive when you buy SONY.

Chaitanya Kulkarni
from Mumbai
12 years ago

i am no expert in photography nor cameras, Nikon was the one in my budget lol and have good results with it. apart from the megapixels there are many things you need to look at in a camera considering your requrements and purpose of buying.

LockSign in to reply to this thread